• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

"angel ram"?

M0oN

5 Year Member
I've been getting a lot of reports of a variation of blue ram popping up that literally has the fin structure of angel fish.

Has anyone seen one of these guys yet? I'd love to see a picture, but can't find anything...

I've heard of another variation called a balloon ram as well?

Randall

5 Year Member
Bizarre Microgeophagus ramirezi

Dear Moon,

I've not seen an "Angel" ram but have seen the "Balloon" variety, unfortunately. The balloon ram is bred in Asia and looks grossly deformed to me.

The wild and German fish are so much more beautiful.

All the best,

Randall Kohn

M0oN

5 Year Member
I agree on your opinions of natural fish looking much better then ones bred for genetic mutations.

I was just interested in seeing what a blue ramw ould look like with the fins of an angel fish :)

2la

5 Year Member
There is also, unfortunately, a long-finned variety that may be what the "angel ram" is referring to. A lot of people like 'em; I hate 'em. :?

M0oN

5 Year Member
2la said:
There is also, unfortunately, a long-finned variety that may be what the "angel ram" is referring to. A lot of people like 'em; I hate 'em. :?

I asked the source of information specifically about it being the long finned variety, as those are the most common blue ram I see for sale out here.

He said he's seen the long fin variety and these are definately not them, the LFS carrying these fish said that they are born sterile and that they are the result of a specific cross between two ram's with genetic anomally's...that could just be a giant load of bull to up the price tag, though.

yutaka

5 Year Member
Hi Moon,

i love to see a pic of the angel ram,too...
have u seen a balloon ram?

i like both standard and balloon ram and but i think most if not all my balloon r hardier than the former...

if u r fan of goldfish, u might like these little gems,too...
if u r into breeding u will love these little cuties...

however, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
if u have not seen them,take a good look at this http://www.cichlidmadness.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1852

yutaka :)

GSRACER

5 Year Member
Rams look better without genetic deformities driven by man. Nature makes the best looking things by itself and when we interfere with them it is just ugly. Anyways if a deformity like that occured in nature it would probably get eaten up by other fish anyways. Survival of the fittest and a fish that cannot swim right doesnt seem to fit to me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….