• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

"Alder pods/cones"

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Anyone in the USA know where I can get some alder pods/cones? Are the European alder trees the same as the alder trees here in NA? If so, anyone with an alder tree want to throw a bunch in a bag and ship them to me?:)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The European alder, Alnus glutinosa was introduced into the New England states of the US & Maritime Provinces of Canada during colonial times. It is considered an invasive species in: [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]IL, IN, MI, NY, PA, WI. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There are 8 Native American alders (Alnus species). Check out the distribution map at: http://plants.usda.gov/cgi_bin/topics.cgi?earl=plant_profile.cgi&symbol=ALNUS.
[/FONT]

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Cool.. Thanks Mike. Now all I need to do is get out my handy-dandy winter tree dichotomous key and try to find one. Anyone know if the NA species are as useful in an apisto tank as the European species is?

The DATZ publication describes them as having some anyi-microbial properties as well as adding a small amount of tannins and lowering the pH. I might try loading a small canister filter with them and letting my apisto water run through it as it ages before water changes.

fishgeek

lots of plants do similar ted
melaleuca family is well researched to contain anti-justabouteverything chemicals
scientifically researched
sold to fish keepers around the globe and produced from two species of the plant
available at most health shops or such as pure tea tree oil, just dilute 1 in 100 before usage

do i need to start putting a liability disclaimer on all my statements?

andrew

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
From what I read in German publications, they are excellent for making sterile blackwater. You just have to be careful about using other parts of the alder.

Microman

5 Year Member
Alder cones are also being used successfully in the UK, as an alternative to methylene blue, for inhibiting the growth of fungus on fish eggs when hatching artificially.
I make my own extract of alder which is reported to have anti fungal and anti bacterial properties...It works a treat when breeding some of the harder dwarfs/apistos that require extremely acidic conditions and low bacterial count in the water for successful hatch rates.
Used it on Ivanacara adoketa rather than UV to successfully get viable eggs.
Very similar to Indian almond leaves.
Mark...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
@ kowallzki30

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….