• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Homemade mulm

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Hi all!

I’m thinking of mixing some mulm/leaflitter for my tanks. I plan to use whatever type of leafs i got on storage, beech bark, coconut fibers, alder cones, maybe some small twigs and ash tree bark..
All but the ash tree bark, is what i normally have in my toolbelt, so i just wanted to hear if it’s tank safe and if you have any experience with it?

-r

MacZ

All but the ash tree bark, is what i normally have in my toolbelt, so i just wanted to hear if it’s tank safe and if you have any experience with it?
My experience with bark of european trees is that it's either floating and if not tending to have a lot of leftover sap which causes bacteria blooms. So you might want to boil it before use. Normally I don't recommend boiling everything to death, but in this case I'll make an exception.

Catappa bark is great though, shame I only got a small package once, the pieces are still in my tank for over two years now. But it's too expensive and far from sustainable.

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Thanks Mac! Ye, the bark if not all of it would get a 5-10 min boil.
I just thought Ash would be fun because i could beat it up and hopefully get some nice stands of bark. Ash is a lot more “stringy” (science term….), than beech bark.

-r

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….