• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Agressive male apisto

Hugo Borjesson

Hey, i have had a male cacatoo ciclid for about 6 months now and recently added a female. Its in a 20 gallon long that is heavily planted. The male is non stop harassing the female but there is no damage done, yet, after a week. She is very young, just at selling size and he is about a year old, is it normal behavour for him to fist flare and wiggle and show of his colors then dart right at her as soon as he sees her. Is it just breeding behavour or pure agression, what should i do?

yukondog

5 Year Member
Welcome to the sight Hugo, If she is not ready to bred but he is, he could stress her enough to kill her, I would remove the young female to another tank to grow up some more.

CRD

Hey, i have had a male cacatoo ciclid for about 6 months now and recently added a female. Its in a 20 gallon long that is heavily planted. The male is non stop harassing the female but there is no damage done, yet, after a week. She is very young, just at selling size and he is about a year old, is it normal behavour for him to fist flare and wiggle and show of his colors then dart right at her as soon as he sees her. Is it just breeding behavour or pure agression, what should i do?
That 20 long is "his" house. Females that are willing to breed will be tolerated....females that are not may be evicted. Good advice above ^^^

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….