• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

agassizii females

henry

5 Year Member
Hi all
I am thinking about trying a different Apistogramma from the cacatuoides I have kept for years. There are some nice agassizii in a local shop but I am not convinced any of them are female. There are quite a few yellow ones but none have any black in the pelvic fins. Are these subordinate males or is this character not as important as I think it is?
Thanks for your help
Henry

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Most aggie males are variations of blue and red. Also look at the tail shape. A male will have a lance-head shape tail with multiple colors that forms when they are coloring up. Females have a rounder tail that is one color (usually the same yellow or orange as the body, but I have seem tank strain Double Red females with some red in the tail). Black markings one the females may be age or mood dependent. Shape of the ventral fins may be a better indicator using those fins, as the male's ventrals are elongated compared to the female.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Ted is right. A. agassizii females don't show much black on the ventral fins except when in brooding dress. My suggestion is to pick out a male and then pick out 2 yellow specimens - not the largest, but not the smallest either. You should get at least 1 female (more likely 2) with this method.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmadoKag

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(