• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Agassizii aggression to gaurami.

pbibs

I was surprised when adding my final fish to my community aquarium that my Fire Red Agassizii took an instant dislike. Its a small young Pearl Gourami maybe 3 inches. The Cacatuoides swims right past and doesnt even seem to notice the Gourami. However, when the Agassizii spots him he chases him until he hides behind the internal filter. Tank is heavily planted so it is not constant aggression. I had thought that with the Gourami likely to spend a lot of time up amongst the floating plant that there would be no problem. Now, however, the agassizii is up in the floating plants too. I hadnt found any articles to suggest there would be problems. Its a 200 litre, 1 metre tank. Any thoughts? Its only the first day so i'm hoping it calms down.

pbibs

Question. Did your agassizii live at the top of the tank before you added the gourami?

No, but he definitely has lived in all levels. And its a 45cm high tank. Like I said its got lots of plants and floaters.
He doesnt like the Cories either. Maybe just one of those fish. Funny thing is, if Cacatuiodes is near the Gourami he chases off the Agassizii when he comes near.

pbibs

Caca is boss between the 2 atm but he is a little larger. Nothing too bad and has calmed down a lot over the past two weeks. A little more aggressive during feeding and shortly afterwards. Ive been advised to give it a week or so and increase the feeding of the Apisto and feed at the opposite end of the tank to where the gourami is hanging out. Ill give this a try and see if a fat belly calms him down a bit. There appears to be no damage to the gourami as yet but I will keep a close eye on him. My LFS has agreed to a return of the Agassizii with view to a swap for another Cacatuoides if necessary. I hope things calm down as imo the Agassizii (fire red) is a stunning little fish, comparable to marines Ive kept in the past.

pbibs

I think it is safe to say that things have settled down somewhat. Agassizii has calmed down and just occasionally has a little chase of the Gourami who now seems totally at ease with the situation. Have just lifted the lid to feed some brineshrimp and there is a large bubblenest at one end of the aquarium amongst the frogbit. The pearl has coloured up tremendously for a young fish and chases the Agassizii away from the nest if he comes near. I was somewhat surprised as there is no female in the tank. I think he must like the slightly acidic, very soft water. Im lucky to have such soft water out of the tap which comes from Derbyshire, UK and is naturally filterted through peat before it arrives at the house. A few almond leaves and the Apistos and evidently the Pearl seem to be in fishy heaven.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….