• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Agassizi suggestions

firetank

5 Year Member
Hi all,

whats the general score with aggression between male\female with agassizi?

the pair are in a 18*12 footprint and the female is currently very dark and residing underneath a couple of well packed mini cobbles..

the male seems quite confident but not overly aggresive but Im wondering leave them together or seperate and give the female some time??

I have a second female in another tank I can transfer him over to if need be??

any suggestions?

cheers
Craig

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
I've a trio of Double Reds in a very well planted 1 metre tank and the male is rather aggressive in there. He has taken chunks out of the females' fins. I think a larger tank might be needed while they are getting used to each other. That or pack in tons of plants and other cover so he can't see her half the time.

firetank

5 Year Member
Hi ed,

thanks mate.. will probably mirror your setup and shift male and both females into the 3*18 upstairs for the time being.... both the male and female whos hiding are stunning specimens (double reds as are yours if they both breed we could maybe switch some fry to each other? im all in favour of reducing inbreeding where possible.)

on a good note my Cacas triple red female introduced me to her first freeswimmers yesterday :):)

cheers
Craig

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hi ed,

thanks mate.. will probably mirror your setup and shift male and both females into the 3*18 upstairs for the time being.... both the male and female whos hiding are stunning specimens (double reds as are yours if they both breed we could maybe switch some fry to each other? im all in favour of reducing inbreeding where possible.)

on a good note my Cacas triple red female introduced me to her first freeswimmers yesterday :):)

cheers
Craig

That sounds good mate. I'll definitely be up for a swap! Good luck with them. Good news on the Cacs too.

stiiina

5 Year Member
As I have learned the aggassizii is a harem breeder..my male has three females. He has rejected on of them, I also heared the male can disguise as a female and the male may reject the 'female look aalike' for that reason. :)
Just what I heard, seems like this with my aggassizii:rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….