• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Sp. vaupes and A. Sp. gillspot WC

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Edit: koslowski’s book is die buntbarsche Amerikas 2. But it is only in German right and €50?
I can provide an English translation in MS Word for free to anyone who can prove that they own the book.
I am still young (14) so it is a lot of money for a book for me. I will think about it since it supplies a lot of info.
I understand, but think of it this way. How much will I spend on the apistos? The books eventually pay for themselves. As I tell people, books are forever.

Bramgroet

I understand, but think of it this way. How much will I spend on the apistos?
That’s right I saw that I can get this book for €40. It’s steack 2003. But it’s also only in German right? Or is there another version?
1D6C5B19-0F68-456F-B29E-FC308016499F.jpeg

I can provide an English translation in MS Word for free to anyone who can prove that they own the book.
I can only get the CA1 book for €100 so I won’t buy that one. But the CA2 is more affordable is it a good one?

The lfs can order A. Sp. maravilha so after my holiday I will probably buy them. And put them in pure rainwater filtered over peat in the 50x30x30cm. If it doesn’t work out I will separate them.

MacZ

But the CA2 is more affordable is it a good one?
Yes, it is and the price you mentioned above is a good one, too.

But it’s also only in German right? Or is there another version?
Staeck is published only in German as far as I know except 2-3 books from the 1990s which are not up to date anymore. But with you being a native speaker of dutch and your knowledge of english you might get to understand it pretty quickly. German and Dutch are about as close as Spanish and Portuguese or as Danish, Norwegian and Swedish. Once you know the differences things become easy to understand. I learned some spoken dutch at your age, hailing from the border myself. Still understand most of it, but far away from speaking fluently.

Bramgroet

Yes, it is and the price you mentioned above is a good one, too.
I can get the steack book for €40 and the CA2 for €50 so both would be worth buying?

But with you being a native speaker of dutch and your knowledge of english you might get to understand it pretty quickly. German and Dutch are about as close as Spanish and Portuguese or as Danish, Norwegian and Swedish. Once you know the differences things become easy to understand.
I get German in school I found it pretty easy. But I can’t speak it fluently.

MacZ

I can get the steack book for €40 and the CA2 for €50 so both would be worth buying?
Especially for these prices, yes!

I get German in school I found it pretty easy. But I can’t speak it fluently.
Well, to read a book you don't have to speak the language fluently. At best you'll need a dictionary. And for the technical terms you can ask here on the forum.

Bramgroet

Especially for these prices, yes!
I will probably buy die buntbarsche amerikas 2 this one. If mike can give me the translation that would be nice if not I will try to read in German also you don’t have to read the whole book only the species you are interested in. So bit by bit I will get there.
48F073C7-96C8-402F-BB8C-4F2DB74F2B60.jpeg

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
No, it's A. trifasciata. What price are they? True Maravilha are still very expensive. Maybe they have just confused the pictures.

Last edited:

Bramgroet

After my holiday I will go to Utaka who are known for getting the more special species. I will ask what they can get me. Maybe from Glaser or import from south Amerika. Also I like the Elizabethae but I think that they are a bit expensive.

MacZ

No they are specialized in South America. VKC (van Keulen chicliden) is specialized in rift lake chiclids.
I see. Last time I was there was in the 2000s. Back then I was still in the Malawi/Tanganyika circuit and that was the reason we went there, to get some Victoria cichlids.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My opinions of the books:

Staeck's Lexicon - good, concise discussions of species available at the time (2003). Nice photos and mostly accurate. Only published in German, but as Mac wrote, Dutch and German are close enough that you should be able to read it. I, for example, can read German well enough, but speak it like a 3-year-old.:)

Koslowski - the best book out there on species available at the time (2002). It is problably the most accurate book when it comes to identify species. It provides detailed collection data from those who collected them in the wild and has the best discussion of apisto behavior available anywhere. The only downside to the book (other than dated) are the poor photos (rather dark). This is why the DATZ Sonderheft was produced 3 years later. €38. is an incredible price for this book even if used. Original price was €50.

Römer's CA2 - very good, but only deals (for the most part) with species not covered in CA1 (1999/2000), those up to 2006. It is just the 2nd volume of a 2 volume set. We all have hopes for a reprint of CA1 and a CA3, etc., but Uwe is a professional ichthyologist with more important projects that occupy his time. Downsides are some photos are now known to be misidentified. Otherwise a very detailed book well worth €50.

One word of caution: GO SLOW! Please don't get more species than you can easily handle - i.e. have the tank space for.

Bramgroet

One word of caution: GO SLOW! Please don't get more species than you can easily handle - i.e. have the tank space for.
I know with the two tanks I have I will only keep 1 species. But right now I have two females of the wild Agassizii netz. I am trying to get rid of them I’m sure that it will be alright.

Koslowski - the best book out there on species available at the time (2002). It is problably the most accurate book when it comes to identify species. It provides detailed collection data from those who collected them in the wild and has the best discussion of apisto behavior available anywhere. The only downside to the book (other than dated) are the poor photos (rather dark). This is why the DATZ Sonderheft was produced 3 years later. €38. is an incredible price for this book even if used. Original price was €50.
Well K will probably buy this one since it’s the cheapest and according to you (and others probably) the best. But with shipping and converting to euros it is €50 (well €47).

One question is it okay to use pure rainwater with peat? Also thanks for the replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….