• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. similis - additional info and pictures requested

zmirek

5 Year Member
Hi,

My uaupesi/diplotaenia biotope tank project is going in right direction since I have got bunch of diplos few weeks ago. I hope finding uaupesi should be much easier.

My next question is reg. Apistogramma similis. I have got group of fry from my friend. Since this is little bit out of my area of interest (mainly Rio Negro) and I am now a little overloaded by new species I have got recently I passed them to my friend here in Poland. We have both searched net for more info reg. keeping them and good pictures but we failed. The only information we have comes from this forum but maybe some of you has more details to add. Also will be nice to see any picture of mature fish.

Thanks in advance

Greetings from Poland

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Mirek,

A. similis was describe (rather poorly in my estimation) by Dr. Staeck in his 2003 book "Cichliden-Lexicon Teil 3 Südamerikanische Zwergbuntbarsche". Basically, it is A. inconspicua with 1 additional dorsal spine. Dr. Staeck writes that it was distributed in the Rio Yata system (a tributary of the Rio Madeira between the Rio Beni & Rio Mamoré) of Bolivia. Jeff Cardwell sent me photos of a similar fish collected in the area around Magdalena, Bolivia. Other than slight differences in the caudal pattern, it matches Staeck's description quite well and probably is the same species. This means that A. similis has a broader distribution range and it actually overlaps the range of A. inconspicua. We are possibly looking as a 'superspecies' (A.commbrae-inconspicua-similis) like A.taeniata-resticulosa or many of the 'A. agassizii' forms.

A. similis shouldn't be too difficult to keep and breed. Biotope data listed by Staeck shows that it lives in slightly acid, soft clearwater streams. If it is like other commbrae-complex species, it should even breed in slightly alkaline, moderately hard water, too.

As for photos of A. similis, I know of only 2 published sources: Staeck's book (above) and Koslowski's book "Die Buntbarsche Amerikas Bane 2 - Apistogramma & Co. (p. 149 middle photo, listed as "might be A. inconspicua").

P.W.

5 Year Member
Hi Mike

Is it possible that A. Linkei could be part of this "superspecies"? Since it also "belongs" to the commbrae complex?

Best regards/ Per

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Per,

Yes, it is possible. It, however, is sufficiently different that, in my opinion, it is a most likely a separate species.

BTW is there any chance you will be able to go to the weekend conference in Larvik, Norway when I give 2 talks in March?

P.W.

5 Year Member
Hi Mike

I will definately try to be there. Hope I can make it!

Best Regards/ Per

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….