• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. borellii

Neil

Kalle,
It is a widely held belief that A. borellii is within its own group. For sometime it was the only representative in the borellii group but now there are one or two other species as well, such as A. sp. "Gelbwangen".
Borellii is a species that is fairly safe to place with just about any other apisto and in just about any water conditions, within reason of course. It can handle very soft to very hard water, pH values up to 8.0 or beyond and temperatures as low as 65 degrees or lower. But, like all apistos, it is a much happier fish in at least slightly soft, acidic and temperate water.
I have supplied this fish to a store in a city with terrible water (8.3pH, 400ppm hardness) and they were actually fine primarily because the water was kept very clean. I have never experienced their ability to handle cold water though. However, I have heard repeated stories to that affect and I do know that their biotope is quite cold for an apisto.
Has anyone ever kept this fish at a temp. of 70 degrees or lower for an extended period of time? How about breeding and the gender ratio of the fry? I am very interested in knowing. :roll:

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
My borelli tank in the only tank not heated here in the basement. Temp stay rather constant around 70 - 72. I too have read where they have been collected in waters in the 60's, even in the low 60's. I too chicken to try that, but they seem to be happy in the low 70's. They are spawning regualrly for me and the males are always in their breeding colors. They look sweet :)

mordor

5 Year Member
Uwe Romer in His latest Cichlid Atlas 1 states that some species like A. nijsseni and A. bitaeniata can survive short periods in temperatures as low as 8 degrees Celcius (sorry guys I am miserable with Fahrenheits) He also wrotes that lowest temperature apistos normally live is 15.5 C. I guess only riverine apistos that live is shallow waters (like A. diplotaenia) really need higher temperatures.

jowens

5 Year Member
How do people think a borelli pair would do in a 46-gallon community tank with a pair of Cacatoiudes and a single male Agassizzi? Sadly, my female Aggy died recently, and I'm contemplating whether to find a replacement for her or to go in another direction altogether with a borelli pair. Do you think there's room in the tank? It's well planted with lots of hiding spots. The other community fish (a few killies, rams) present no problems for Apistos in terms of aggressiveness.

Neil

jowens,
Sorry about your female. That's annoying. You have a pair, one dies, and the stupid remaining fish won't breed for you 8O ! No matter how much you plead with him or her. I guess apistos aren't hermaphrodites. :p
With the rogue male in the tank, there would be three male apistos in there, if you added the borellii. Might not be a problem, but you could be pressing it, even with plenty of cover. However, just the cacatuoides and the borellii probably will be fine with that much ground space. Borellii are pretty mellow, but it should be fine. Neil

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….