• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. borelli opal - free swimming

Boupette

5 Year Member
They were imported from Thailand. Here's somme pics!

1600984_10152122704445218_18353640_n.jpg

over 80 for their fisrt time! Quite good!

1014852_10152122873200218_1648573006_o.jpg

MickeM

5 Year Member
Super! Thanks Mike! Someone who bred borelli before told me it's a very slow growing apisto, is that right?

Hi Helene + everyone !

Found this, your second link/chatt concerning Ap borelli, for the first time today.

When I kept Borelli, sometime in the middle of the 1980`s (result of my first Apisto spawning ever), the juveniles grew in different stages/phases..
The dominant male became father at approx. 6 months. At the size of 1,5-2cm. His brothers were only 1cm.
He spawned with 3 females in a few days. They were 1-1,5cm.. (The largest girls from the same batch)
8-10 days later they had 3-4 fry each and guarding in the same way your video shows... but..also stealing fry from eachother..

So, they seem to get sexually mature early..no matter what size..
This has also been my experience with other Apistos later on. (Ap. trifasciata, Ap. baenschi ...)

I think ( ?!!?).. I recall reading some info by an expert in the asian Betta species. He was talking about a substance(hormone?) beeing released in the water by the dominant fish/male(?) , prohibiting/ stopping the other fishes (of their own species?) from growing as fast as itself/himself(?).

If that is correct.. ,it may also be true for other species as well ?? Apistos ??

I think of that theory as one possible option, since I have experienced sudden growth of the smaller brothers/sisters when having the dominating individuals moved out of the tank.
It may also just be an effect to the larger amount of food now availible to the smaller ones..+ a moment of strengthening themselves ?

One fact though, is that fishes grow faster in cleaner.. less polluted water.
If you feed them a lot.. change water more often. Result = faster growing fishes.. (If OK food quality+OK water temp/quality)

I will check/control that theory in the Betta book as soon as I will get it back from a friend of mine.. Soon..!!

/M

Boupette

5 Year Member
My babies opal are now 2 months old, some are much bigger than others and the males, which I can id because they began to turn blue, are very agressives or they chase both sexes. I even saw a female shaking in front of a male like adults. They're about 1.5 - 1.75cm for the biggest. Is that a "normal" behaviour for borelli and if so what shall I do. It's the first time I see that kinf of behaviour on very young Apistos. The parents are in another tank with their new ones since 1 month. Thanks!

Last edited:

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi Helene + all..

Yes, Apistos often get sexually active at an early age.. I guess this is an adaptation to their natural situations..
Since the shifting seasons in nature leave many fishes in "not so very deep pools", I believe a lot of apistos are left to die in
these areas when the rain season ends.. and water evaporates...
In order for the species to survive , they start reproduce as quick as possible... many fry will have to be "produced". (And most of them dies before full grown size)

Some extreme examples are the fry from the group of "Killi" fishes.. many species get active after only 2-3 weeks according to info I gotten in the Scandinavian Killi associaton (SKS).. these fishes live for a very short period, so they must be able to grow, and then to spawn and lay their eggs ASAP !!! Before the next drought starts... The eggs are then left to dry/ being "stored" in various substrates (mud, layer of dead plants ..) When next rain starts ..they hatch..!!

The Apistos who are getting stuck in the pools are just unlucky not to have reached the "main river" in time I guess..??

In these pictures you can see both Ap.borelli and Austrolebias nigripinnis ("annual" Killi fish) from Argentina.
I have got some collected eggs from such species waiting to hatch when I put them in water again ..after 6weeks<several months in "dry/less humid" "coco nut peat" or Sphagnum-moss !!

http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/t...iotope-argentine-corrientes.14700/#post-77154

In your excellent video/pics it looks like you now have got a lot of Ap.borelli..??
What you want to do with them is up to you... You might need to find a Pet Shop with knowledge in keeping aquariums or
find some good quality people :) you can share them with..??

(Maybe give some to a childrens school ??)

I find it very entertaining to watch a tank with more than 1-4 Apistos.. One can really learn a lot about fish behaviouring manners from it... and often without the regular problems..(terror balance!!) 6- 12 pcs are perfect I think..

Good luck !!

BTW..if anyone is interested in the "Betta"-theory..search the web..Betta + hormones .
Very interesting !!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….