• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ada 60P tank setup help

miniman

Hey guys,

Just getting my fish sorted for my Ada 60p (60x30x36).

I was thinking 10 espei rasboras as dithers and a pair of blue opal borelli?

Would this be ok in this size tank?

anewbie

on the small size but doable if scaped correctly; remember the female might viciously attack the male if she has eggs/frys so be sure to give places for the male to hide.

MacZ

If you want a relaxed community only get a single male Apistogramma. A pair only if you have the option to separate them at any given time and if successful breeding is on your agenda.

The fact you are getting an ADA tank gives me the impression you might be into scaping. Please be aware typical aquascaping is not compatible with keeping territorial or skittish fish.

So if you like, please post a picture of a tank that looks similar to what you are going to attempt. And please don't forget posting the URL of the source (for copyright reasons).

miniman

If you want a relaxed community only get a single male Apistogramma. A pair only if you have the option to separate them at any given time and if successful breeding is on your agenda.

The fact you are getting an ADA tank gives me the impression you might be into scaping. Please be aware typical aquascaping is not compatible with keeping territorial or skittish fish.

So if you like, please post a picture of a tank that looks similar to what you are going to attempt. And please don't forget posting the URL of the source (for copyright reasons).
Hi Macz no I’m not into scaping really at all I just wanted a high clarity tank.

To be fair I don’t necessarily want them to breed, so I could go for a single apisto. Ideally I’d like two centrepiece fish so is there any other suggestions here or will it just be a juggling act if they breed?

Thanks heaps!

MacZ

I’m not into scaping really at all I just wanted a high clarity tank.
What a relief!
Ideally I’d like two centrepiece fish so is there any other suggestions here or will it just be a juggling act if they breed?
It can go haywire and it can be quite some fuzz. If it goes wrong you might lose fish, if it goes "right" you might have dozens of juvenile fish you might not get rid of. If the display aspect of the tank is priority, then stick to a single male.

miniman

What a relief!

It can go haywire and it can be quite some fuzz. If it goes wrong you might lose fish, if it goes "right" you might have dozens of juvenile fish you might not get rid of. If the display aspect of the tank is priority, then stick to a single male.
Id like to get two larger fish than the espeis, do you have any recommendations around 1 other sized fish to go with the apisto? Just don’t want it to be too lonely down there

miniman

What a relief!

I’m a terrible scaper mate haha

MacZ

A single dwarf cichlid is not lonely. In the tank size (dimensions) we're talking I have no recommendations, sorry. In my opinion a dwarf cichlid is plenty in it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….