• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. agassizii question

mgtitans17

5 Year Member
Only one of my LFS sells apistos and all they have are agassizii's. Could i safely put a pair into a mildly planted 10 gallon tank with some cardinal tetras. Wut kind of water parameters do aggies need to breed?

Also, my lfs sells a pair of aggies for $50.00. Is that a good price for a pair of aggies?

newworldan06

5 Year Member
That sounds like a very nice setup. And 50 bucks sounds like a lot to me. I have seen them at mine for 30 a pair with a club membership.

mgtitans17

5 Year Member
I have not been recently to look at the fish myself and my lfs isnt quite sure what type they are either so i will have to get back to you for that question. Could I put a pair of aggies into my 26 gallon tank with minimal plants, a cave, and 13 medium sized tetras which are red eyes, cardianls, lemons, serpae, and harlquin rasboras? Water parameters of 6.8, gh of 9 and a kh of around 4?

Randall

5 Year Member
Apistogramma agassizii

Hello mgtitans,

Since your LFR does't know exactly what he has, it might be a good idea to make sure that what is offered is indeed Apistogramma agassizii. There is a hybrid, Apistogramma sp. "Steel Blue," that comes out of Singapore that is sometimes sold in the States as Apistogramma agassizii.

If you have a look at the photo gallery here on Apistogramma.com, you can see what A. agassizii looks like and compare the images to the fish offered by your LFR.

You water parameters are a little hard for breeding this species. A KH of about 3 would be more to their liking, otherwise the setup sounds fine.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

cootwarm

5 Year Member
That would depend on the temperment of the individual fish you happen to get. Most would probably do fine, but if you happen to end up with an overly aggressive individual, there may be no where to hide effectively in a 10 gallon.

If you are starting with juvies or young adults there shouldn't be any trouble as they will mature together. Some people have no problems with apistos in 10 gallons, others can't do it. I think lots of hiding places are the best insurance. I use rocks, driftwood, oak leaves, coconut shell caves, Java Moss & Java Ferns, and an Amazon Sword plant in most all of my 10 gallon tanks.

They look kind of crowded, but it's a natural kind of crowded and the variety of hiding places seem to make the apistos more comfortable. When the fish are comfortable, there is little aggression and the fish tend to hang out in the open more often with the knowledge of many sancuaries close by.

Michael

Randall

5 Year Member
Dither fish

mgtitans17 said:
Do a. agassizii prefer dither fish in their tank, and if so would 3 zebra danios be ok?

Hello mgtitans,

Zebra danios are very active and may make excellent fry preditors. Better to use some small tetras or pencil fish instead.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
price!!!!!!

50.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ouch I can send you a pair for 35.00 and that incl shipping--50 bucks is way up there even for a rare aggie like Rio Tefe!!!!!!!!!!

mgtitans17

5 Year Member
Well, i guess i wont be buying apistos from that lfs! The only other dwarf cichlids the fish store has are kribs and german blue rams. I have had bad luck with rams in the past so I guess my only option now will be to give kribs a try. Arre kribs a good beginners dwarf cichlid? Can a pair live safley in a mildly planted 10 with some dither fish. Also, what kind of water paramters do they like to live/breed in. Thanks for all of the help so far btw!

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
No problem! Kribs are not bad starter Dwarfs--they area little more aggressive than apisots and it also depends on wht kind of Kribs you get--Kribs is kind of a generic term for Kribensis, taeniatus and not so often--subocellatus

dhm325

5 Year Member
I'm not sure that I agree with you. I keep mainly West African cichlids ( I broke down a few months ago and bought some Apisto's – I don't know why, their comparatively boring -- West Africans are the way to go). In my experience, 10 gallons is too small for a pair of kribs. I think that 20 gallons is about the minimum I would try. If the pair stop getting along even for a short time (for example, a failed spawn), the female will not be able to hide in a 10 gallon tank (or even the male for that matter if it is the female that turned nasty). Also, if you plan to breed them, it may be very difficult to get them so spawn in such a small space.

Best of luck

David

mgtitans17

5 Year Member
I have decided not to set up a 10 gallon and instead i have recently set up a planted 20 gallon tank. Could I keep a trio 1m, 2fm, in my 20 gallon.
Also, if my lfs could not get some apistos in at a resonable price how many kribs could i keep in a 20 gallon. The tank dimensions are 24 in. X 12 X 16.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elvashave

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….