• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. agassizii Fire red breeding... can't seem to make it happen

kylekvk

I posted this in the general dwarf cichlid forum, sorry for the double posting -- I thought that was the right area.

I have a pair of A. Agassizii Fire Red. They’re in a 20G tall. I wanna breed these guys so bad but the female seems to hate the male and he keeps chasing her. He spends his days eating and stalking her. She spends her day hiding and only comes out to eat.

She can’t seem to get away from him. I’ve had these guys for months and she hasn’t shown spawning colors even once.

I don’t know how old they are, maybe she could be a juvenile?

Things I’ve done:

- Given them little houses. They have two. One cave and one coconut shell, they don’t use them.

- Fed her mostly freeze dried bloodworms, she loves them.

- Increased the water temperature to 82F

- Maintain the pH at approximately 7, I’m not "chasing" pH but that’s what they like

- Given them some dither fish. I have a small school of cardinal tetras, a mystery snail, an Oto cat, and two male Endlers. Everyone else is happy and keeps to themselves.

- The tank is moderately planted and has driftwood for them to hide under.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Too many unknowns: tank decor, territorial boundaries, opening size of cave entrances ...

I will say that it would be better if you could keep the pH below 7, in the 6.5 range. Your feeding leaves a lot to be desired. Try feeding mostly live and frozen food. Also cardinal tetras are well-known apisto fry predators so do not expect many survivors if the female has a spawn.

kylekvk

Thanks for your reply! I think the problem might be they my female is actually a “sneaker male”. You made a lot of good points, but I realize I didn’t post pictures

1F2D7ADD-588B-4A4C-A919-1CA93D8C8626.jpeg

MacZ

Can you post a picture of the whole tank? I have a suspicion.

The stocking sounds like a community tank. I would not expect them to successfully breed in such company. Spawn maybe, but with the cardinals no fry will make it. The pH most (not all, but a lot) Apistogramma need to successfully spawn is far too low for any Guppy, those I would rehome. If not for the Apistos breeding, then for their own good. Now that I think about it, Guppies are always moving, this might bring too much fuzz and ruckus into the tank.

kylekvk

It is a community tank.
Can you post a picture of the whole tank? I have a suspicion.

The stocking sounds like a community tank. I would not expect them to successfully breed in such company. Spawn maybe, but with the cardinals no fry will make it. The pH most (not all, but a lot) Apistogramma need to successfully spawn is far too low for any Guppy, those I would rehome. If not for the Apistos breeding, then for their own good. Now that I think about it, Guppies are always moving, this might bring too much fuzz and ruckus into the tank.
It is a community tank. One day I’ll have one just for Apistogramma. Can you confirm that my Apisto I posted the picture of is in fact a female?

MacZ

It is a community tank.

It is a community tank. One day I’ll have one just for Apistogramma. Can you confirm that my Apisto I posted the picture of is in fact a female?

Yeah well... community tank means breeding is unlikely. And no, sorry, colour breeds are so far off my field I can't tell you the sex of your fish. Plus it seems they are quite young.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….