• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

30 Gallon Long

dhm325

5 Year Member
Can I keep a pair of p. ten. dehane and a pair of Nanochromis transvestitus in a heavily planted well filtered 30 gallon long? The only other fish in the tank are 6 white clouds, 8 neons tetras and 3 small clown loaches. The p. ten dehane are in the tank now. But I am thinking of buying the Nanochromis.

What is the minumum tank size for these two species?

Thanks.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:)
I think that you will have some aggression problems. P. taeniatus can be brutal towards other cichlids when they are in the mood to spawn. I think that you would enjoy that tank with only one of the pairs.

Randall

5 Year Member
30-Long Aquarium

Dear dhm,

Although there certainly could be problems come spawning time, so long as your 30-long is heavily planted and that there are some good hiding places, I think you should be okay. It might be a good idea to add an extra cave or two, should the Nanochromis need to get out of the way.

Good luck with your excellent choice of fishes.

All the best,

Randall Kohn

coenga

5 Year Member
Pelvicachromis and Nanochromis in a 30 gal

Hi,

temptation, temptation...

I surely miss the big experience of previous contributors and I understand the temptation of "just another" pair of a wonderfull west Af dwarf.

But if you choose this mix, be prepared to assume an african riverine arena.

These two species are rooted to the substrate and their potential spawning sites. If one pair choose to spawn (and we all wish it) it needs to have substrate domination and securing of a space roughly 4 square feet (for Pv, maybe a bit less for Nano) to have the possibility to herd the fry on various grazing areas.

In my 35 gal long (overplanted and with roots and caves) my dehane pair have secured all the floor for their spawn. Little dithers (less than 2 inches) are allowed a proximity of no less than half a feet, big dithers (laetacara pair and one female dehane) MUST not be in line of sight, otherwise they are restlessly chased until well hidden in the deep jungle.

IMHO, a pair of nanochromis would defend their territory near the substrate and would not go up in the plants until severly dominated. A pelvicachromis pair would not defend very long and would be dominated and in big distress.
I've witnessed two pairs (Pv and Nano) of these fishes in a 20 Gal of a friend, not spawning, but it was an interesting arena with pairs facing each other male vs male, female vs female. There was an invisible border between both pairs and frequent intimidation displaying. But there was no spawn and no spawn occured.

I would mix a cave spawning and an open substrate spawning pairs in this volume.
If you want these nanochromis, I think a one specie set-up is preferable or a bigger tank (say a surface not less than 4 feet by 2) if you want the mix.

FWIW.

Tell us the following of the story, I'm interested. I dream of a big surface tank for multiple pairs of cave spawners :) :)

best regards

Colin

Neil

I would have to agree with Colin here. IME N. transvestitus is no pushover. I don't think that the taeniatus would be the dominant pair in this set-up. As a mater of fact, I think this may work, give the heavy structuring of the tank in the middle. I don't think it is ideal, but I would not be suprised if you could do it. The problem will arise when one pair spawns and the other doesn't. Either will likely keep their fry on "their side" for awhile. But soon they will push the limites of their territory and problems for the other species is likely.
I, too, would like to hear the results of this combo. I actually am suprised that I haven't done it. :D
Neil

coenga

5 Year Member
dhm325 said:
The only other fish in the tank are 6 white clouds, 8 neons tetras and 3 small clown loaches.

BTW, I passed these two last dithers species when I read the post.
neons tetras are nice fishes, but they are highly effective fry predators IME.
clown loaches are BIG fishes growing to 6 inches and more they need a big tank to live happy, they are sturdy very active and probably powerfull fry predators. I'm also unsure that there presence would not keep the Pv taeniatus away from spawning idea. Pv genus need a securable area to allow spawn and I do not think that loaches are "securable" by a Pv pair.
Also I must say that I've not experimented clown loaches, and a well bonded pair may be able to do the job...

Colin

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyzhCrord

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….