• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

1 Male Apisto in a 29G community with Honey Gourami?

Christopher Barbas

Hello all. This is my first post on this site. My 29 Gallon is about to be finished cycling. It has lots of plants, driftwood, rocks, etc with black sand as substrate. But during this cycling period, the more I research, the more I can't decide on a "centerpiece" fish.

AqAdvisor link

Stocking:
6-8 Panda Corydoras
10-15 Cardinal Tetras

This is where it gets tricky. Honey Gourami are known to be more peaceful than their counterparts.

For Apistos I was looking at Cacatuoides or Agassizii. I didn't want a pair or harem because I've heard they can be quite aggressive during breeding, and that the Panda corys don't know what 'no' means.

So here were possibilities

A) 1M Apisto + 1M Honey Gourami
B) 1M Apisto + 1M 2F Honey Gourami
C) or just get either one and not mix

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'd get the Honey Dwarf Gouramies. With 6-8 corys the bottom will be crowded without an apisto. Honey Dwarfs tend to stay at the upper level of the tank, so they will fill this part of the tank.

Christopher Barbas

I'd get the Honey Dwarf Gouramies. With 6-8 corys the bottom will be crowded without an apisto. Honey Dwarfs tend to stay at the upper level of the tank, so they will fill this part of the tank.

The 29 gallon has a footprint of 30.25" x 12.5". You'd think it could either be the corys or 1 Apisto but not both?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes a 29High has the same footprint as a 20Long. It will be fine for either a schooling species like corys or 2, maybe 3 territorial species like apistos (depending how it is decorated). Choose which you want most.

Christopher Barbas

Yes a 29High has the same footprint as a 20Long. It will be fine for either a schooling species like corys or 2, maybe 3 territorial species like apistos (depending how it is decorated). Choose which you want most.

Okay thanks :)

If I didn't get the Corydoras, and just decided on 2-3 Apistos, what combination do you think would work best?

1 Male 1 Female
1 Male 2 Female to spread the aggression
Or 2-3 males each of a different species/appearance? i.e. such as Cacatuoides/Agassizii/Hoingsloi/Macmesteri/etc ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….