• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

1.60m South American biotope

Gertbl

5 Year Member
mg2689q.jpg

mg2679.jpg

mg2671.jpg

mg2670.jpg

mg2666.jpg

mg2662f.jpg

mg2661.jpg

mg2658.jpg

mg2655y.jpg

mg2652.jpg

mg2633.jpg

mg2632.jpg

mg2721b.jpg

mg2738.jpg

Stefaan

Die taeniacara is écht prachtig!
En ja, je andere visjes zijn natuurlijk suppermooi he ;)
Hoe doen je planten het eigenlijk onder die lage belichting?

Gertbl

5 Year Member
Die taeniacara is écht prachtig!
En ja, je andere visjes zijn natuurlijk suppermooi he ;)
Hoe doen je planten het eigenlijk onder die lage belichting?

Haha, die doen het wel redelijk. Groeit minder snel dan bij TL verlichtig.

For the non Dutch people here, Stefaan was asking me about how the plants are doing under the LED lights.
I told him that they do okay, but growing not as fast under a normal TL lights.

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
I've never said so in public, but this is one of my favorite tank threads of all time, anywhere. Just a really cool setup with a natural setting and different fish you don't see around much. Great work.

Gertbl

5 Year Member
The last photo is indeed a Apistogramma trifasciata.

[video=youtube;XUx2rAd1n3A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUx2rAd1n3A[/video]

Chris Noto

5 Year Member
Wow. You show amazing and admirable restraint in the execution of your biotope design! Thank you, thank you, thank you. I can't believe that this is the first thread that I have gotten to view upon joining this forum.

I have been told, recently, by a very accomplished breeder of South American blackwater species, "Happy fish spawn." Obviously your fish are happy.
Congratulations.

Gertbl

5 Year Member
Great, how are they? I'm thinking about getting some

They are very awesome Apisto's. Even though they are still little, if the want the can chase a full grown Dicrossus away.
But until now I haven't seen any aggression against the other dwarfs.

Wow. You show amazing and admirable restraint in the execution of your biotope design! Thank you, thank you, thank you. I can't believe that this is the first thread that I have gotten to view upon joining this forum.

I have been told, recently, by a very accomplished breeder of South American blackwater species, "Happy fish spawn." Obviously your fish are happy.
Congratulations.

Thanks for the compliment.
In the beginning, when I was setting up this tank, I was a little bit scared about this combination. But luckily everything is doing well together.

Today I added 6 young Red spotted Green Tefe Discus to this tank, so this tank is what I think on it's maximum of fish. The four Copella arnoldi are now swimming in my other tank together with 11 Corydoras punctatus, and there I want to add 6or7 Chilodus punctatus to the tank.

ApistoNerd23

Gertbl,

I really like the look of your tank, especially the way it's mostly shaded from direct light.

If you haven't already, can you share what plants you use? I like the "lily" plants which are going toward the surface? Are those Nymphaea?

Looking great!

Gertbl

5 Year Member
Gertbl,

I really like the look of your tank, especially the way it's mostly shaded from direct light.

If you haven't already, can you share what plants you use? I like the "lily" plants which are going toward the surface? Are those Nymphaea?

Looking great!

Thanks for the compliment. The plants that I use are:

Echinodorus bleheri
Echinodorus radicans/cordifolius
Echinodorus parviflora tropica
Vallisneria gigantea
Nymphaea zenkeri green
Hydrocleis nymphoides
Hydrocotyle leucocephala
Anubias.

kiwi tom

this is a great aquarium! so natural. i mean it, i signed up just to tell you haha.
good work keep it up

from new zealand :)

Matt1892

this is a great aquarium! so natural. i mean it, i signed up just to tell you haha.
good work keep it up

from new zealand :)
I think this thread was the same reason I finally signed up too, I would look at threads as a guest and contemplated joining then I saw this biotope and was finally convinced.

Gertbl

5 Year Member
Thanks for the compliments Gwendal, kiwi tom and Matt1892.

There has been a little change in this tank.
The water is much clearer now because of the many water changes I do now.
This is because I keep 5 Red Spotted Greens discus also in this tank.
_MG_3895.jpg

Unfortunately I have no good start with the Red Spotted Greens. I bought 6 juvenile F1, and sadly the got sick of an unknown reason. If threaded the Red Spotted Greens with a medicine for internal worms. It was to late for one discus, and that's why I got 5 discus now.
Because of this matter, they wouldn't eat at all, and now the are very thin. For one of the 5, seems that it is also to late. It's very thin, and don't eat much any more. When this one dies, I will bring the fish to someone who can have a look at it under a microscope. Hopefully the other four will start eaten more food, and gaining weight.

Here are some pictures of the F1 Red Spotted Greens.
This was taken just right after I introduced them to my tank.
_MG_3590.jpg

_MG_3599.jpg

This is how they look now, after two cures with Dactycid.
_MG_3910.jpg

_MG_3925.jpg

I'm going to place a Phosphate filter right after one of my normal filters, to keep the phosphate low.
I also going to start with adding RO water during the water changes. Hopefully this will have a positive effect on the Red Spotted Greens.

I also going to make a change in the fish stock of this tank.
I want to remove the following fish to a other tank:
7 Corydoras aeneus
2 Sturisoma festivum
2 Otocinclus sp.

This is what I have in mind to keep in this tank:

5 Red Spotted Greens (already in this tank)
31 Nannobrycon unifasciatus (already in this tank)
10Brochis splendens or Corydoras leucomelas (instead of the C. aeneus)
6 Poecilocharac weitzmani (already in this tank)
5 Hypoptopoma sp. (already in this tank)
2 Sturisoma festivum (4 in this tank, 2 males and 2 females, going to separate them)
2 Achirus achirus (will be in this tank, end June)
1 L204 Panaque sp. (will come in this tank half way June to keep the wood in good condition)

Dwarfcichlids what I keep in this tank are:
1m 2f Apistogramma trifasciata
1m 1f Taeniacara candidi
1m 1f Dicrossus maculatus (had 1m 2f, unfortunately one was a young male, and gave some problems so I replaced that one)

Thinking about to move the Dicrossus couple to the 1m tank.

In the 1m tank I got now:
11 Corydoras punctatus
4 Copella arnoldi
3 L010a Rineloricaria sp.
2 Loricaria sp. (unknown species)

Picture of the 1m tank:
_MG_3929.jpg

Some of the fish of this tank:
L010a Rineloricaria sp.
_MG_3939.jpg

Corydoras punctatus
_MG_3935.jpg

Two males Copella arnoldi (The second male is my own breeding)
_MG_3974.jpg

_MG_3967.jpg

Senninha

What a wonderful pics ¡¡¡

I like the dicrossus, in spain its called Ciclido Ajedrez, because it seems a Chess board hehehehhe, the taeniacara looks very nice ¡¡¡ i want one of them :)

Can i do a question ?? , whats the behaviour of Taeniacara ?? its agressive or more or less pacific? I think to have a couple but i dont know this behaviour THANKS ¡¡

un saludicoo¡¡¡

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….