• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

1.60m South American biotope

Gertbl

5 Year Member
Hi Senninha,

I find the Taeniacara candidi one of the peaceful dwarfcichlids.
In this tank the really don't pay much attention to the other dwarfcichlids and the Manacapuru angelfish that are swimming in this tank. Even in the time that I had four Mesonauta egregius swimming in this tank, the didn't bother them. I know people in Holland who are keeping the T. candidi in small groups with success. Sadly I just lost my T. candidi female. Haven't seen her any more in the tank.

Senninha

Oh well, this info helps me a lot, maybe your taenia jumps out the tank :(, my last Hongsloi take this way to reach the freedom :( .

What PH have you the taenia? , because I readed that they needs more acid PH around 5 and my PH is 6.5, and I'm not sure thats viable or not with this PH :( . The info about your partners is very interesting, a group of this really be awesome hehehehehhe.

thanks¡¡¡

un saludicoo¡¡¡

Gertbl

5 Year Member
@Senninha, I keep the T. candidi now at a PH of 6,5. I don't think that the female has jumped out of the tank.
I think she just died. I saw here a few day before the disappearing and she wasn't feeling fine, I could see that.

@FIL, thanks.

Here are some pictures of my new fish in this tank:
8 young Pterophyllum scalare "Red Back"
_MG_4656.jpg

_MG_4671.jpg
_MG_4674.jpg
_MG_4687.jpg
_MG_4690.jpg
_MG_4699.jpg
_MG_4711.jpg
_MG_4713.jpg
_MG_4718.jpg
_MG_4596.jpg

This is how the tank looks right now:
_MG_4729.jpg

Gertbl

5 Year Member
Here are some new recent pictures I made of the tank. I also changed the amount of fish that are swimming in this tank.
At this moment I have the following fish in the tank:
8 Pterophyllum scalare "Red Back"
5 Hypoptopoma sp.
4 Awaous flavus
4 Copella arnoldi
2 Poecilia wingei
2 Dicrossus maculatus (2 males)
2 Sturisoma festivum
1 Taeniacara candidi (male)

I'm going to add some female Dicrossus maculatus, 1 female Taeniacara candidi and a couple Aphyolebias peruensis.

Here are the pictures:
foto131.jpg

Awaous flavus
foto117.jpg

foto118.jpg

foto121.jpg

foto100_zps109fc10c.jpg

foto104_zps53f74d86.jpg

Dicrossus maculatus
foto125.jpg

foto119.jpg

Hypoptopoma sp.
foto135.jpg

Pt. scalare "Red Back"
foto134.jpg

foto136.jpg

foto140.jpg

Taeniacara candidi
foto147.jpg

foto145.jpg

Eggs of the Copella arnoldi
foto153.jpg

Copella arnoldi
foto83.jpg

foto85.jpg

foto86.jpg

foto123.jpg

Sturisoma festivum
foto122.jpg

Next to this I recently bought a new tank (120x65x60cm) approx 400L. In this tank I want to make a Rio Tigre biotope, based on the report that Tom C has on his site. The setup is going to be with a lot of wood, sand bottom and leave litter on top. There are only going to be floating plants in the tank. The fish that I want to keep are, a group of Nannostomus mortenthaleri together with a Apistogramma species from the Rio Tigre drainage an with Crenuchus spilurus. Hope to have some pictures of the start in February.

Loriculus

Gert, (greets from across the border)

what is your point on the topic Awaous flavus needs salt addition ? Looks interesting setup. I'm setting up my next tank just now. I will also add the red backs and will move my Biotoecus as sand fish, but the gobies would be an option too. I have surface area of 160x100 so there should be enough space.

Gertbl

5 Year Member
Hi Peter,

I've read some few things about Awaous juveniles needing salt water. As far as I know the Awaous flavus is found in brackish water and in freshwater. They are doing very well in my tank, and I looking for some more of them.

Last month I moved to my new house, so that means that I had to move the tank. During the time I was emptying the tank, I noticed two small juvenile fish. They were approx a few mm in size. I caught the two juveniles and placed them in a small container. Because I wasn't sure if there were more juveniles, I decide to leave the substrate and a amount of water in the tank. During the time I was filling the tank with a amount of freshwater, I caught another 4 juveniles in the tank. The six juveniles I found seems to be Hypoptopoma fry.

Fish that are now swimming in this tank are:
8 Pterophyllum scalare "Manacapuru"
5 Hypoptopoma sp.
4 Mikrogeophahus ramirezi
3 Awaous flavus (want to add more
3 Chilodus gracilis (want to add more)
2 Sturisoma sp. aff. festivum
2 Copella arnoldi males (going to get new females)
1 Poecilocharax weitzmani (left over of a group)
a few Poecilia wingei

Here are some new pictures:
totaalfebruari_zps98a90418.jpg

IMG_3548_zps426d8b06.jpg

IMG_3551_zpsc8c99ca5.jpg

IMG_3554_zps12ef2e61.jpg

IMG_3564_zpseabce0a3.jpg

IMG_3403_zps44532d1f.jpg

IMG_3369_zps24a295b8.jpg

IMG_3368_zps2cc1be20.jpg

IMG_3353_zps92a7d5a5.jpg

IMG_3405_zpsd7dc3067.jpg

IMG_3542_zps5227d1a4.jpg

IMG_3512_zps2634daa6.jpg

Loriculus

Thanks for the feedback Gert! The Hypoptopoma breeding is interesting. I believe I have the same an thought they where Hypoptopoma inexpectatus.

I also have 4 Poecilocharax weitzmani - at least I hope it is still 4. They are in one of my small tanks with T. candidii and as you know hard to spot in a fully planted tank. if you happen to see some Poecilocharax weitzmani in good quality let me know ;)

Gertbl

5 Year Member
Poecilocharax weitzmani is indeed a beautiful fish. Maybe I will add more in this tank when I find them again.
The Hypoptopoma I bought were twice labelled as Hypoptopoma gulare. According to some people on Planet Catfish, it seems that I have sp. 2 and thoracatum.
M. ramirezi couple with eggs:
ramirezi_zpsc178b8d6.jpg

harry12345

Gert,
I like the pictures of the ramirezi's, but that won't be a very big surprise!
You angels are also beautifl. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….