• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Parananochromis gabonicus spawn

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
One of the pairs of P. gabonicus I brought back from Gabon has free-swimming fry today. Looks like there are about a dozen or so. I am going to let her keep them for a week or so in order to cement the pair bond.

pH - 5.5
TDS - about 300
KH 2
temp 76

The TDS is so high because the only way I could get the pH to stay under 6 was to use Kent Marine pH Minus.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
No deep litter. I have not been able to procure enough leaves yet. The cave is stuffed with long fiber sphagnum moss.

mudskipper

Congrats!

Are the pair alone in the tank, or do you keep something else in there for aggression redirection? I've has good luck wit
h baby bushy noses in my tanks. They get chased a lot, but not hurt, and they don't try to eat the fry.

freshwaterfishfan

5 Year Member
Spawning other Parananochromis?

Ted,

Very nice. Do you know anyone with Parananochromis ornatus? Did you ever have luck with P. longistratus? I tried and tried and went through 5 or so pairs w/o luck. Do you think they need the "leaf litter", too?
Steve

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think P. longirostris is a 'big water' cichlid. We found them only in the main channel of the larger river at Makokou, where we also found P. axelrodi. They are much larger than other Parananochromis too. We found P. ornatus at one site, but not many and I did not bring any home. I do nto know anyone who has any, expect maybe Ariel B., who might hve found them in 2006.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Update... I removed the fry too early and lost them. Lesson learned. This pair are about ready to spawn again, and a second pair in a different tank are acting like they want to go soon too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….