• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Spawning gibbiceps

Apistogramm-Sam

5 Year Member
Well, after my female gibbiceps died, I thought I was left with two males; one dominant and the other subdominant. Then I moved them to my 20 gallon so the wild ones Retro_gk picked up for me wouldn't be picked on. That's when the subdominant "male" turned female. Today I discovered a bundle of red wigglers under a coconut shell. I don't know what, but something about the move made them spawn. Any-hoo, I'm glad I have a breeding pair again, and the behaviors of the wild ones will be interesting to watch. :biggrin:

Zapisto

5 Year Member
nice.
i usually call that the symptom of "move to new" with all my apisto.
i used to do that when nothing else work :)
the result is not so bad so far 70% of success.

con-man-dan

5 Year Member
this is also how my gibbiceps have breed a few times as well, kind of. the first time was right after i moved from my old place to the new one, so the tank was basically torn down and put back together. i used 25% of the old water, arranged the set up differently and put in new water. wasn't expecting them to spawn seeing as the new water was a bit harder then their old water, but boom! fry! did this a few more times, and it worked fairly well. my only problem is the tanks have been so densely planted and aquascaped i was never really able to collect any fry. the 2 juvi's i'm raising now I didnt even know existed until i was rearranging the tank and out they came! i moved those two fish to a 3 gallon fry tank for a few months to put some more size on them, and have since moved them back into the 20 long with the parents. think its about time to tear the tank down again and see what happens.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….