• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dicrossus maculatus - how many females in 17g?

Kravu

Hi,
I searched like a half of the internet, but I couldn't find, how many females I can keep in my 17g tank(60x30cm base(around 23x12")).
I'm guessing that 1 male and 3 females will be too much, 1+2 will be ok?

Thanks for your help.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It really depends on how that tank is decorated - and the personalities of each fish. Most hobbyists wouldn't put more than a trio in such a tank. I personally wouldn't put even a pair/trio in such a small tank, but that's me.

gerald

5 Year Member
That's two square feet of bottom area; I think a trio would be OK, with plenty of wood and plants. I have little experience breeding Checkerboards, but females seem less territorial toward each other than Apisto females. Other Dicrossus keepers agree with this?

Mol_PMB

My 6 D.filamentosus are in a 120L tank which has a 2'x15" footprint. I ended up with 5 boys and 1 girl. They are getting quite frisky but no breeding yet. Plenty of challenges between the boys but no physical contact or damage seen yet.

Kravu

It really depends on how that tank is decorated - and the personalities of each fish. Most hobbyists wouldn't put more than a trio in such a tank. I personally wouldn't put even a pair/trio in such a small tank, but that's me.
It's heavily planted(about 70% of the tank or even a little bit more) , with plenty coconut shells and wood, so I think it won't be a problem.

My 6 D.filamentosus are in a 120L tank which has a 2'x15" footprint. I ended up with 5 boys and 1 girl. They are getting quite frisky but no breeding yet. Plenty of challenges between the boys but no physical contact or damage seen yet.
That's quite interesting, how big are they?

Mol_PMB

The males are now nearly 2" long plus tail, more than twice as big as when I got them in January. I think that's pretty much full size.
The lone female is smaller. I posted some pics on my Dicrossus thread a week or so back.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
2" males are not full size unless stunted. I have seen D. maculatus males over 5"/12 cm long, although 3¾"/9 cm is more typical. This species is more robust and aggressive than D. filamentosus. Males can be 'pushy' with the much smaller females not ready to breed. These are reasons I wouldn't use a small breeding tank for this species. For D. filamentosus and D. gladicauda it should be fine.

Mol_PMB

Here's a link to the recent pics of mine:
http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/t...sus-sexing-and-advice.17631/page-2#post-88750

At the moment they seem to be getting a bit frisky, I'm running the pH down at the moment, currently about 5.4. As well as challenges and flaring between the males, I have seen the dominant one dragging leaves around to make a nest.

They share the tank with some Farlowella twig cats, and the female F.vittata is very fat with eggs at the moment too...

I'm having a think about whether I can move some fish around to give a pair of the Dicrossus a tank to themselves.

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
I had six in a 48" x 18" footprint, HEAVILY planted tank -- and quickly ended up with just one pair. One very aggressive pair.

Kravu

2" males are not full size unless stunted. I have seen D. maculatus males over 5"/12 cm long, although 3¾"/9 cm is more typical. This species is more robust and aggressive than D. filamentosus. Males can be 'pushy' with the much smaller females not ready to breed. These are reasons I wouldn't use a small breeding tank for this species. For D. filamentosus and D. gladicauda it should be fine.

My local shop raises them from fry(both maculatus and filamentosus) so I guess size wouldn't be a problem.
But if you don't recommend keeping them in that tank i will probably get D.filamentosus instead.
How many of them should I get in your opinion?
Is that tank enough to keep two males(2+2/2+4)?

wethumbs

5 Year Member
D. maculatus do get big like Mike said. I was breeding them on and off for several years. The males got to around 4"+ in size and females stayed relatively small of around 2" to 2.5". D. filamentosus are much more widely available and I have yet to seen a male grown over 3" in size. D. maculatus male is very aggressive up to point of breeding then the female with the brood care will bully everyone including the males into a corner. So it is best to keep them in pairs if you want to have fry. Otherwise, all you see are fish chasing each others as skittish females will just eat all the wigglers.

To get a good pair, you will need to invest in buying a group of 6 or so. D. maculatus is much more expensive than D. filamentosus, so it really depends on your budget as well as tank space. D. maculatus will usually start to become sexable around 1.75". As that point the male will 'kick into high gears' and increase in size rapidly.

Kravu

In Poland D.maculatus isn't that expensive, and price difference isn't big either(they cost 4$ for maculatus,5$ for filamentosus, juveniles, or about 10$ adult).

For example, if I buy adults, should I get a group too, or it's only a rule for buying juveniles?

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Here in the US, D. maculatus is general around 4x the price of filamentosus. If you goal is just to keep and enjoy the fish, then just pick a pair. If you are trying to breed them, you are better off getting a group and once you have a good pair, you can rehome the rest of them.

Kravu

I am very grateful for all your help.
I was busy recently and looking for dwarfs wasn't a priority, but I found an interesting offer.
I can buy 1+3 D.gladicauda, however I am afraid that it will be too much to my tank.
My tank is designed similar to this one, on both sides there are 2-3 halves of coconut,unfortunately they are very close to each other.
Code:
http://imgur.com/fcZbu0Q

What do you think?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
D. gladicauda is the same size and shape (and species???) as D. filamentosus. If the tank is properly decorated, they should be OK. Don't be disappointed if the gladicauda to turn out to be filamentosus. Every other hobbyist who bought 'D. gladicauda' had their fish develop as D. filamentosus.

Mol_PMB

D.filamentosus are great though. One of mine looks like a gladicauda at the moment, but only because he has had his tail nipped in a fight! ;)

Kravu

Don't be disappointed if the gladicauda to turn out to be filamentosus. Every other hobbyist who bought 'D. gladicauda' had their fish develop as D. filamentosus.

They were bought as juveniles of D.maculatus but they turned out to be 100% D.gladicauda.
I posted a link to a tank that looks very similar to mine,on both sides there are 2-3 halves of coconut,and roots are bigger.

fcZbu0Q.jpg

All credits for this tank to Wojciech Paul(AquaNL)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….