• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Stocking idea for current 29 gallon

Lucasalc46

hi all! I’ve got a 29 gallon South American tank and i Was wondering if my stocking idea is good. I currently have 4 Beckford Pencilfish and 6 corydora habrosus.

Stocking:
4 more Pencilfish
10 cardinal tetras
4 dicrossus filamentosus
Maybe 1 blue zebra angel( I think that’s what was at my lfs)

Does this work? Also, should I add more cardinals than that cause a big school of them I think look cool.

Thanks

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
Sounds great, but I'd skip the Angel. In my opinion they get too large for the tank and I have a bias for small fish anyways :)

You could do a bigger school of Cardinals than that, yes.

Lucasalc46

O
Sounds great, but I'd skip the Angel. In my opinion they get too large for the tank and I have a bias for small fish anyways :)

You could do a bigger school of Cardinals than that, yes.
ok, thanks. how big could I make both schools, 14 cardinals and 10 Pencilfish or could I add more?

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
You could do that or still a few more. Between the two species I wouldn't go over 30-35 total

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
Pencilfish don't really school like most tetras and males can become rather territorial toward other males. Thankfully their 'personal space' is rather small and often quite mobile.
Does this vary by species in your experience? I've noticed my N. eques school really well, partly due to their timid nature, and I don't notice much aggression. I have three N. trifasciatus in that tank with them (contaminants I took home) and I observe less schooling and more "aggression" (if you can call it that) between them. Every now and then I will find one or two with the school of N. eques.

Lucasalc46

Pencilfish don't really school like most tetras and males can become rather territorial toward other males. Thankfully their 'personal space' is rather small and often quite mobile.
Do you think I could be fine with an angelfish and if not should I get more Pencilfish or tetras

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, the 'Nanobrycon' forms tend to be less aggressive and school more. If you want angelfish in a 29High tank then get 2 or (at most) 3 and be prepared to move any that get bullied. I wouldn't add any other mid-to-upper level fish.The tank is just too small. Bottom dwelling catfish should be OK. I personally think that a 55 would be a better size for an angelfish community - especially when the get full size.

Lucasalc46

Yes, the 'Nanobrycon' forms tend to be less aggressive and school more. If you want angelfish in a 29High tank then get 2 or (at most) 3 and be prepared to move any that get bullied. I wouldn't add any other mid-to-upper level fish.The tank is just too small. Bottom dwelling catfish should be OK. I personally think that a 55 would be a better size for an angelfish community - especially when the get full size.
Ok. Instead of angels could I have the same stocking but have 2 rams? Or would that be over stocking

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Not my preference, personally. They should be OK with Dicrossus, but need higher temperatures than your other fish. I think your bottom-dwelling fish numbers are fine right now. The more fish you add, the more work is needed to keep the tank in optimal conditions.

Lucasalc46

Not my preference, personally. They should be OK with Dicrossus, but need higher temperatures than your other fish. I think your bottom-dwelling fish numbers are fine right now. The more fish you add, the more work is needed to keep the tank in optimal conditions.
Ok, but could it work? How much more work would I have to do?

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
Ok, but could it work? How much more work would I have to do?
Friendly advice, if you'll accept it :) It sounds like you're trying to force something against recommendations rather than take the recommendations, perfect the tank, and add more if you want/need/are able to once you reach a balance. Best of luck on your tank!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….