• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to apisto

Mbkemp

How common is it for females to kill a male? I recently purchased 2 females and a male. The male hid most of the time. One of the females took his spot over his dead body. They were Borelli. Pretty little guys, maybe an inch or so long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbetta

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum!

Maybe your male was already sick and died off a disease. The females are generally not aggressive to males, if they aren't guarding fry. If that's the case, she could have probably killed him.
Aggression also depends on the size and length of the tank.

Cheers,
Billy
;)

Mbkemp

Welcome to the forum!

Maybe your male was already sick and died off a disease. The females are generally not aggressive to males, if they aren't guarding fry. If that's the case, she could have probably killed him.
Aggression also depends on the size and length of the tank.

Cheers,
Billy
;)
Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbetta

5 Year Member
Borellii's don't form pairing bonds. When I started with them some years ago I had 3F 1M (the supplier gave me one extra female) in a full planted 20G. It did have many hiding spots but nowhere near a biotope aquarium. The Male spawned with all females simultaneously in the first week. After a year I had to remove one female because of aggression.

This year I purchased Borellii again, just a pair this time, and placed them in the same tank. They are doing just fine.

I've even bred them in a 6G but I had to remove the male after.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….