• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Would love to see an "attitude" list of Apistos.

nuimom

5 Year Member
Aloha all, I know I read it somewhere, but know that some Apistos seem to be more aggressive than others. I was thinking Borrelli were one of the more "calm" ones to keep. I am spreaking to just a lone non breeding male :) I have an Ortegai male who I removed from his female, she was a terror, re-homed her and he is happy and calm. I have in another tank a very young lone male Panduro, he has started coloring up nicely BUT now is harassing the cory in his tank. The Ortegai is buds with his cory :)
I am hoping the Panduro will grow out of this, but am thinking I will re-home him soon if this keeps up. No damage to corys but the chasing, not good. I would replace with different male. I was thinking Borelli. I know the Ortegai work, or this male I have did. Hoping someone, maybe Mike can "rank" them for me to narrow my search. Next challenge is getting one here in Hawaii lol. Thank you for any and all replies :)

nuimom

5 Year Member
Aloha all, I know I read it somewhere, but know that some Apistos seem to be more aggressive than others. I was thinking Borrelli were one of the more "calm" ones to keep. I am spreaking to just a lone non breeding male :) I have an Ortegai male who I removed from his female, she was a terror, re-homed her and he is happy and calm. I have in another tank a very young lone male Panduro, he has started coloring up nicely BUT now is harassing the cory in his tank. The Ortegai is buds with his cory :)
I am hoping the Panduro will grow out of this, but am thinking I will re-home him soon if this keeps up. No damage to corys but the chasing, not good. I would replace with different male. I was thinking Borelli. I know the Ortegai work, or this male I have did. Hoping someone, maybe Mike can "rank" them for me to narrow my search. Next challenge is getting one here in Hawaii lol. Thank you for any and all replies :)

nuimom

5 Year Member
Well peace in tank now, moved all corys to my 40B for now :) May just keep him and not have corys in that tank. I am just not used to having a tank without them :O

nuimom

5 Year Member
I doubt anybody will be able to do this without somebody disputing it based on their experiences.

Generally it seems you expect cichlids to behave much more peacefully than they actually are.
Thanks, I get it :) AND SO TRUE :) I wish I could remember who was commenting on kind of a general rule of thumb for behaviors. It seemed the certain groups were more prone to higher levels of aggression than others. I do remember that the Borellii were in the more subdued lol, for cichlids list as were the caucatoidies. I think I remember too them saying it seemed the more colorful seems to be more bold/aggressive. Like all apples have different tartness's lol. If I find it again I will post it, was very interesting :) BUT like we all know they are cichlids :) I have noticed that even my Ortigai have had different personas, like people. Thank you for your for input :)

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I'll give it a try:

agassizii= can be a butthead​

alacrina= can be a butthead​

allpahuayo= can be a butthead​

baenschi= can be a butthead​

Feel free to add to the list! LOL
Apistogramma trifasciata.

Cheers Darrel

Apistoguy52

This is pretty vague, but if we ignore the level of “aggression” at an individual level, I’ve always felt like scarcity of food in the natural environment equates to aggression at some level. Blackwater = scarce resources = highest levels of aggression and competition. Clearwater offers more resources, and thus less competition and aggression. Whitewater provides the most resources, and thus the least competition and aggression.

anewbie

Apistogrammoides pucallpaensis are fairly passive and should be kept as 1m 1f. A 10 is sufficient but something larger doesn't hurt. The female will 'poke' at the male when she has frys but generally will let him near and won't chase him after an initial poke. She will violently attack other females and chase off dithers. So far i have not seen her go after Pangio shelfordii even when they are near the frys; if necessary (and your substrate is soft and fine) p. shelfordii will bury itself. I've only had my pucallpaensis around 11 months so i don't know if the m/f pair will eventually split up.
-
I've heard of female borelli with eggs killing male borelli in tanks as small as 15 gallons.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….