• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wild Color Changes

Nymsley

5 Year Member
Its really interesting how fish can express themselves through their color and fins. Here are a few pics of the same fish. The underlying color is similar but the vividness and patterns can change so drastically. (The pics are not digitally enhanced.)

(You can catch a glimpse of his female in the last two pics.)

Nymsley

5 Year Member
Thanks very much, animalmgc :)

Yes, Cleo is a girl and she does have a black band under her lower lip but I don't believe she is an A. sp. Schwarzkinn/Black-chin.

The band is pretty narrow and she doesn't have the separate black spot near her tail. Those are the only two markings I know about so I could be wrong. I still have a lot to learn about identification.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
With the normal proviso that I'm terrible at I.D's and sexing, but I don't see why she isn't a female A. cacatuoides as well.
cheers Darrel

Mark

5 Year Member
Nice female cacatuoides. And not schwarzkinn as the sideline runs all the way to the tail (and it is not apart from the tailspot).

Mark

georgedv

5 Year Member
Your fish look great. I also want to comment on your tank. Plant growth and colors are fantastic. How about posting some info on what you are doing in the plant section of this forum.

thanks

g

Nymsley

5 Year Member

I don't do anything fancy with this tank aside from some yeast based CO2 diffusion, I'm not sure what I can write about. If you have a specific question though, I'll try to answer it.

georgedv

5 Year Member
What size tank is in the pic, basic water parameters and if you can name a few of the plants you are keeping in the tank.

Thanks again.

g

Nymsley

5 Year Member
This a corner shot of the tank, its a bit different now but close enough:

Its a 29gal with about 60W of T5HO. As for water parameters, I haven't checked for several months. I just know that the water is soft out of the tap.

The most predominant plants in there are:
Echinodorus 'Kleiner Bar'
Echinodorus 'Rubin'
Crytocoryne spiralis
Rotala
(not sure of species)
Pogostemon erectum
Vesicularia dubyana
(Java moss)
Microsorum pteropus
(Java fern)
Riccia fluitans
Heteranthera zosterifolia
(star grass)
Helanthium tenellum
(formerly Echinodorus tenellus )
Echinodorus angustifolia
Eleocharis parva
(dwarf hair grass)
Hygrophila difformis
(water wisteria)
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Limnobium laevigatum
Salvinia minima
Rotala rotundifolia 'green'

There is a bunch of other various random plants too though they're small still.

Nymsley

5 Year Member

One of my most recent pics of Poldo (the bigger of my two males). I finally caught him in mid "yawn" or stretch, not sure way he does this. Still trying to get a front shot of him doing this.

I still wish to put Neocaridina in that tank but look at the size of that mouth...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….