• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

wild caught F0 F1 definitions

T

Ticman

Hi,

could someone give a quick explanation as to the symbols F0 and F1

i am guessing it has to do with generations or an indication of how much inbreeding may have taken place.

thanks for the help.

Mike

mummymonkey

5 Year Member
F1 fish are the result of a cross of unrelated fish. First filial. (From the latin filius - son).

The parents are normally called P1 and P2 so you have - P1 x P2 = F1

F0 is sometimes used instead of P1 & P2; usually refering to wild caught fish.

It's often used as a shorthand way to mean "Generations from wild". So F0 are wild caught, F1 the first generation etc. However, striclty speaking, that's not necessarily always the case.

Complications arise when fish are out-crossed or crossed back to previous generations so it's always best to check the provenance of any fish you buy, just to make sure.

T

Ticman

thanks all for the explanation. I was sort of on the right track but it is not clarified.

Mike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….