• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wild A. agassizzi, can we narrow down a location?

Eddiekay1010

Hi, I received a young, wild group of A. agassizzi about a year ago, they supposedly came from Brazil. Reading about all the different locations that agassizzi are found in, I'm just wondering if the location they were collected from can be narrowed down a bit. They are a yellow form, I think? From what I've read, the yellow form are found near Santarem and also another form in the Rio Tefe drainage. Any thoughts, I'm just curious, they actually were labeled a totally different species when I got them. The pictures were taking over the course of maybe 6 months. Interesting observation I've made, this is the first Apistogramma that I've spawned in which the male has played a role in guarding the fry, the few others that I've spawned, the female has always taken control of raising fry, keeping the male at a distance. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_5034.jpg
    IMG_5034.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_5667.jpg
    IMG_5667.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_5678.jpg
    IMG_5678.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_6724.jpg
    IMG_6724.jpg
    859.9 KB · Views: 92

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
Your fish looks like one of the A. sp. aff. agassizii (Netz) forms to me. From which location, I can't tell for sure since all these forms are highly polychromatic. See also this thread.

Eddiekay1010

Your fish looks like one of the A. sp. aff. agassizii (Netz) forms to me. From which location, I can't tell for sure since all these forms are highly polychromatic. See also this thread.
Thank you for the information, so if I pass any of the offspring around, should I label them A. sp. aff. agassizii Netz or just keep it A. agassizii. I just read in Romer's book, Cichlid Atlas 1, that all the wild color forms of agassizii can show up in offspring from other locations, not sure if that observation has been proven true over time, it's an older book, but if that's true, wow, things are really confusing now!

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
The A. sp. aff. agassizii (Netz) forms are different species than A. agassizii, not just color forms or populations of the latter. How they are distinguished from A. agassizii is explained here. All agassizii-complex species are highly polychromatic, meaning that different types of coloration can occur in the same population/batch of offspring. This makes it impossible in most cases to tell the catch location/population from the looks of the fishes.

Eddiekay1010

The A. sp. aff. agassizii (Netz) forms are different species than A. agassizii, not just color forms or populations of the latter. How they are distinguished from A. agassizii is explained here. All agassizii-complex species are highly polychromatic, meaning that different types of coloration can occur in the same population/batch of offspring. This makes it impossible in most cases to tell the catch location/population from the looks of the fishes.
Thanks again

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….