• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Why is my Apisto gasping?

Neil

kross,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Is it normal?

No, but it might not be all that serious either.

i have airstone running.......+ DIY CO2 for my plants in a 24cm cubic tank.

The oxygen level may or may not be your problem. It is difficult to say with no more information than this. Are the fish new? Did you just start CO2? Do you measure your levels? What are the other values and maint. routine in the tank? Are other fish acting funny or breathing heavily? Are your fish eating and moving around...In other words, is the breathing severly labored?

Neil

kross

5 Year Member
Hi Neil,

Yes, they are a new pair in a new tank. Basically, everything is new. :) Besides the pair, i got a small SAE (looks happy sucking up the walls :lol: ) to clean up any algae that is forming in the tank. And yes, they are moving around (male chasing the female :p )and eating well. As for CO2 count, i'm afraid i don't do any counting. :p But it is not bubbling that much. My airstone is definitely bubbling way more than CO2 that's for sure.

Before I started the CO2, i noticed the pair are already gasping. Maybe i should stop the CO2 and monitor for a couple of days?

GSRACER

5 Year Member
Isnt having an airstone and a co2 system both kind of defeat the purpose of having a co2 system? The co2 would be disapated by the airstone wouldnt it?

eicello

5 Year Member
Hi,

I would remove the CO2 and leave the air stone for a day or two. If the fish stop gasping, problem solved. If they don't, then you have other problems. Check your ammonia levels, if these are really high they could be burning the fish's gills. You also might have gill flukes, some you can see,(might look like two prongs sticking out of the fish's gill) and some you can't. If all your water levels are good and they don't do better with the extra oxygen from the airstone, look into this possibility. If you think that flukes are the problem don't use formalin in your planted tank. I've had great sucess treating flukes with praziquantel or "prazi" I would treat the whole tank as flukes have a tendancy to return if you don't. Prazi won't kill your biofilter and won't harm your plants.
Good luck!!

kross

5 Year Member
Hi,

I would remove the CO2 and leave the air stone for a day or two. If the fish stop gasping, problem solved. If they don't, then you have other problems. Check your ammonia levels, if these are really high they could be burning the fish's gills. You also might have gill flukes, some you can see,(might look like two prongs sticking out of the fish's gill) and some you can't. If all your water levels are good and they don't do better with the extra oxygen from the airstone, look into this possibility. If you think that flukes are the problem don't use formalin in your planted tank. I've had great sucess treating flukes with praziquantel or "prazi" I would treat the whole tank as flukes have a tendancy to return if you don't. Prazi won't kill your biofilter and won't harm your plants.
Good luck!!

Thanks for the advice. Will looking into them. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….