• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

White gold?

JesseH530

Picked these two up out of pretty unfavorable conditions, as A. "Gold", I believe this points to A. cacatuoides "white gold", any opinions?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 432

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet." Wm. Shakespear (in Romeo and Juliet, Act II, ii, 1-2). There are very very few commercial names for domestic strains that are 'set'. They are what the breeder/seller wants to name them. If you want to call them A. cacatuoides "White Gold" or just "Gold", it's all up to you (and the buyer of any offspring).

JesseH530

I was more concerned with the species they are and if they were really an A. cacatuoides variant and not a female of another species? Which leads me to my next question, are they both females? Too small to tell? Both under an inch.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Side view pictures of the fish would help a lot! They kind of look like cacatuoides but they also look a little like agassizii-the angle makes it tough to tell. Also, the fish on the right looks like it has some black in the ventral/pectoral fins on the leading edge, but again it's tough to tell in the picture. If it does have that black it's most likely a female. The other fish doesn't seem to have that black in the same fins so it might be a male. But better pictures are needed all around!

JesseH530

They could be 'rejects', the one on the left has a deformed dorsal fin that isn't fully developed along the back. I picked up an agassizii male 'red' also, so I wouldn't mind if they were agassizii females. The black color in the fins is not really present any more, stress colors I think.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
The one on the right has deformed pelvic fin. I would advise against breeding deformed fish.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
The one on the right has a 'kink' on the pelvic fin. Looking closer to the one on the left, it seems like uneven pelvic fins too (1 longer than the other).

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
In truth, I didn't look at the photos. The files are too large for me and if they don't start loading after 15-20 seconds, I don't waste time waiting for them to load. Sorry. Now, if you downsize them so that they load in a reasonable time for me I'll look at them.

JesseH530

Sorry about the picture size, I uploaded from my phone an don't know if I can resize it. As far as the pelvic fins, they were kept with some tanganikans and I think their fins were just shredded in the pic. It's from when I first put them in, I'll try to get some pics tonight when I get home, I wish they weren't so camera shy, and in a planted tank.

JesseH530

Can't find the normal looking one, here's the deformed one and the agassizii

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 405
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 373

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
The darker fish is a male Apisto. agassizii. The lighter fish MIGHT be Apisto. cacatuoides but it looks more like a gold ram!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apistokeeper

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….