• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Which tefé?

LindaMC

5 Year Member
That's a beautiful fish, is that the true color in the photo? Looks a bit like a Rio but hard to tell, I haven't been keeping apistos all that long. I have a pair of agassizi red tails and will be getting a pair of cacatuoides orange flash's in a few weeks, they're still very small right now.

Hopefully someone will be a long to identify this fish soon, I'd also like to know.

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
I'd have to gree with blue bell it looks more like the A. sp. tefe to me as well. Again like linda I'm not a pro at IDing thou I'm getting better. LOL

Joost S

5 Year Member
Yes, these are the true colors of the fish. Thank you for your opinions.

a%20tefe%20m1.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Do you know where this fish comes from? It looks like the "Net/Netz" form of A. agassizii to me. This form occurs in northern tributaries of the Amazon, east of the Rio Negro. A. cf. agassizii ("Netz" Alenquer) is the form most commonly seen in the hobby.

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'm down with Mike, even at this small size the lateral banding on Rio Tefe' is much more noticeable than it is on these. At about 1" mine start to show it very clearly. Something else about Tefe'--I am fairly well convinced that all color forms of agassizi throw different colors, I have had all of them show up with some red tailed and some white tailed variants. Just last July at Frank wilhelms I saw some unbeleivable fire red males and females that showed up in a spawn of plain ole blue agasszi, I'm including a picture of that one here. I got some really great looking Rio Tefe' redbacks at Glasers last year. IN one spawn of about 50 young I have had some sports show up. One little male has fins that are completely red-caudal, dorsal, anal, I have had 3 others show up with the white edges and red inners.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/apistodave/DSCN3867.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….