• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Which sexe are the nannacara anomala

bijouxcailloux

everyone,

We just bought a trio nannacara, hopping for maybe a small harem but more we watch them evolving in the tank and more we have fears that we have 3 males.

One for sure, clearly the alpha, but for the two others there are some doubts, maybe a male in costume or femelle?

I can make more pictures if needed
Have a good day all

Attachments

• 17163624816216411995764975944608.jpg
    17163624816216411995764975944608.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 51
  • 1716362537267114838018594989534.jpg
    1716362537267114838018594989534.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 52

bijouxcailloux

Hello there!

They really are funny cuties!
You would have ask me 4 hours ago, I would have say we have 3 males, 2 clearly and one dominated.
But today we did a water change and fed with live food, and what we thought to be dominated male act like a female. She was going and coming to one the male until he followed her to a corner of the aquarium, but she was clearly going after him and made sure he was following.
So we are a bit confused, because it seems it's a female but she/he has some blue reflections..
Here is the latest picture.
Maybe you'd like to shar your opinion even if it was long ago! ☺️
IMG_20240527_232410.jpg

Last edited:

bijouxcailloux

Hello ☺️

Small news from the nannacaras!

It happened that we had indeed 3 males, so yesterday we switched one male for a female (because two males have their territory).

For now we think that the new one is a female, the caudale's end is round and no trace of blue on the scales.

I expected a warm welcome from the males but it seems they don't want to share their place with the female, and the poor one just have to swim away. I thought that male and female could share territories, any opinions?

In case or the situation don't go better we have the option to take one male away.

Wish you
IMG20240605133726.jpg
a good day!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If you didn't do it, you should have re-arranged the tank decor before adding another territorial fish. The other 2 fish have established territories to their mutual satisfaction and another territorial fish is not welcome.

MacZ

No, usually a male has a fixed territory and only allows females ready to breed in it. If the female isn't receptive to his advances she is chased off. And this might be a problem in this case because worst case she is chased from one territory to the other and welcome in neither, resulting in stress, sickness, death.

anewbie

The nannacara anomala I've owned have not been as territorial as some species of apistogramma. They aren't really pair forming but i've never been able to keep more than one female. My sample is small - 3 males but i would say my experience is they are more passive. The female with fry is another story.

bijouxcailloux

Thank you all for sharing your experience.
We indeed change the decoration (which is a big bunch of leaves) and it created a small peacefull place for the female to be without being constantly chase. The two males did kept their position, one on the left one on the right and the female in the middle.
We keep a close eyes on her because she was also not on her best shape from the shop.
Let's see how things evolve with time, but for now there is for sure 2 males and one female! Easy to see the differences! ☺️

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marakely

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(