• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How long do Nannacara anomala live ?

anewbie

My 4 year old male Nannacara anomala is looking a bit off and I'm trying to decide if there is anything i can do for him. I know some dwarf cichild only live 4 years and others longer but i can't find any details on this species longevity.

GPistos

5 Year Member
around 6 to 8 years.. really depends on many factors like temperature, water hardness, ph etc..
I checked literature for you, at 4 years it is better if you keep water a bit softer side so his body doesnt need to process much of harder water and food as much live food. other than that I cannt really judge based on general "bit off". maybe a photo to see his coloration, water information.
if you kept him at high temp. range for his whole life, he might have already lived his life to end.
Hopefully he gets well.
Good luck

anewbie

around 6 to 8 years.. really depends on many factors like temperature, water hardness, ph etc..
I checked literature for you, at 4 years it is better if you keep water a bit softer side so his body doesnt need to process much of harder water and food as much live food. other than that I cannt really judge based on general "bit off". maybe a photo to see his coloration, water information.
if you kept him at high temp. range for his whole life, he might have already lived his life to end.
Hopefully he gets well.
Good luck
Thanks - some info:

I keep him at 76 during the winter and 78 during the summer. He gets live pleco frys ;) he spends all day outside the pleco cave just waiting for them to arrive. His back is bent a little and one of his eyes has slight clouding. I'll try to get a picture - the past month he has been spending less time in the open. My water is around gh 7 kh 3 and tds 140. I'll be moving in 3 months and then have access to ro water to soften things a bit.

anewbie

He, like me, has passed his prime, but we're not dead yet!;)
Sadly I think most of us are past our prime but still he is such a wonderful fellow - of all the fishes i've kept he has made the most impression - though in truth there are many species of fishes i've not kept nor will i ever keep.

GPistos

5 Year Member
tds and everything sounds well in range. Try increasing temp by 2 or 3° C slowly and give him maybe some discus high protein food for 2 times a week.
maybe he recovers but bent spine doesnt sound so much promising tbh.
generally indicates internal parasite or calcium deficiency or old age.
share a pic to see his coloration then maybe we can judge a bit better.

anewbie

tds and everything sounds well in range. Try increasing temp by 2 or 3° C slowly and give him maybe some discus high protein food for 2 times a week.
maybe he recovers but bent spine doesnt sound so much promising tbh.
generally indicates internal parasite or calcium deficiency or old age.
share a pic to see his coloration then maybe we can judge a bit better.
Will try to get a picture; the spine is just slightly bent as seems to happen with old fishes you probably wouldn't notice if you hadn't see him in his prime. It will be a little bit on the picture - I only seem to see him about once every 3 weeks right now - his 'home' is in an area of the tank that is not visible.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….