• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Which of the following apistos would you keep together?

slipstreamv2

5 Year Member
Here's what I ordered from ApistoDave - I won't be getting them until Tuesday Nov. 13th, so I guess I have time to change the order.

I'm not new to fish, but I am to apistos. I've been reading up as much as I can, but my head is spinning and some of the info is all jumbled together. I've been also doing research on RO [brands, features, longevity, membrane types] and water parameters [GH, KH, acidity, and how to adjust these], and peat moss.

I asked him about the following setup, and he said the setups are fine, but I wanted to get some more input you guys regarding species compatibility (sub-species, calm/agressive, size, other personality factors, ideal water conditions, etc.). I obviously don't want the two Cac strains to be together, unless I want them to crossbreed. According to this thread, I shouldn't mix Cacs with Viejitas.

All these tanks will be heavily planted within a week after getting the fish (anyone have serious quantities of watersprite they can sell me?), with blocked lines of sight, and 1.5-2x # of caves. I also have spare, empty tanks - 10g, and multiple 5g to move fish if necessary.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to the 2006 Water Confidence Report for Jersey City water, it is:

Parameter / Range
Hardness (as CaCO3) 58-98ppm
pH 6.1 - 8
TDS 84-338ppm
They also have iron & manganese levels (ppb) and sodium and sulfate levels (ppm) listed, don't know if they're important.

According to a chain store manager, our city's water is about 7.5-8.0 and hard.

I'm gonna need some time to get a RO/DI unit, but for now I guess I'll get me some irish (sphagum) peat moss.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ANY THOUGHTS on these setups:

20 gallon long (12"x30" footprint):

4 cacatuoides Triple Red - 1 male, 3 females. (passive?, ph: 6.5 - 7.5, KH: 1-4, tolerant of harder, alkaline water)
2 Borelli yellow face– 1 male, 1 female. (passive, ph: 6.5 - 7.5, KH: 1-4, tolerant of harder, alkaline water)
(adaptable to small 4.5g tanks for trio?)

20 gallon long (12"x30" footprint):

4 viejita CFII – 1 male, 3 females ( pH range: 5.5 – 6.0; dH range: 5- males are agressive in small tanks?, easy and quiet)
2 Agassizi Red Tail - 1 male, 1 female (shy/more peaceful than Cacs, pH: 6.8 - 7.0, KH: 0-2)

10 gallon (12†x 20†footprint):

2 Cacatuoides Orange Flash - 1 male, 1 female. (passive, ph: 6.5 - 7.5, KH: 1-4, tolerant of harder, alkaline water)

2 hongsloi - 1 male/1 female (pH range: 5.5 – 6.0; dH range: 5)

slipstreamv2

5 Year Member
Originally posted by Sil (I originally posted in incorrect forum, moved thread here)
Hi,
I think you're planning to place too many species in your tanks and IMHO the setups are not proper. You could try of course with these setups as you have empty tanks to move fishes if necessary, but I do not give a big chance to such configurations.
First 20 gallon tanks - A. cacatuoides 1+3 is good setup, but not with A. borelli as they would be dominated and terrorized by cacs. I would rather put inside 1+3 cacs with no other dwarf cichlids.
Second 20 gallon tanks - it's a risky setup but could work out as A. viejita and A. agassizii have similar temper. Good aquarium layout will be needed and a little bit of luck, but you could try with 1+2 A. viejita and a pair or 1+2 A. agassizii.
10 gallon tank - it's not proper for A. cacatuoides 1+1 and A. hongsloi 1+1... but it's good for A. borelli pair or 1+2.
Good lack with your arrangements anyway!
Chris

Thanks Chris. Perhaps someone else can chime in here, but I think the apistos that ApistoDave ships out are juveniles, giving me some time to adjust. The info on the viejita and agassizii having a similar temper is exactly the type of knowledge I'm looking for, thanks.

I did have concerns with overcrowding and aggression especially. I guess long term they are not ideal setups (would like more peoples' thoughts), but I would like to know if I can manage this setup for about a month, until I decide which ones I really like and want to keep, or if I will need to get more tanks.

Could you expand a bit on a good aquarium layout? I'm planning on planting heavily with watersprite (any other plant suggestions?) to minimize/eliminate line of sight.

So based on your suggestion, I think I'll try:

20g long tank:
A. viejita - 1m + 3f
A agassizii - 1 +1

20g long tank:
A. cacatuoides Triple Red - 1m + 3f
Can I put A. hongsloi 1+1 in here (in terms of temperament)?

I also have empty - two 10g, and two 5g tanks, as well as a 2.5g hospital/quarantine tank for the remaining:
A. borelli 1+1 (I may try to keep in a 5.5g after reading this)
A. Cac "orange flash" 1+1
A. honglsoi 1+1 (maybe not).

Is a 10g really to small for a pair of cacatuoides OR hongsloi, even heavily planted? I'm also kinda confused, since ApistoDave emailed me that all the species are fine in 5g tanks.

Would a pair of borelli and hongsloi in a 10g even for one month be tantamount to killing them?

Everyone, please keep your thoughts/suggestions/advice coming! Thanks.

Sil

5 Year Member
Is a 10g really to small for a pair of cacatuoides OR hongsloi, even heavily planted? I'm also kinda confused, since ApistoDave emailed me that all the species are fine in 5g tanks.
slipstreamv2, you can keep almost any pair of apistogramma in 10g tank, but it's risky and requires some experience. You should pay attension to pair relations (especially beyond the period of spawning) and water parameters as it's always harder to keep them stable in smaller tanks.
Would a pair of borelli and hongsloi in a 10g even for one month be tantamount to killing them?
I would not try this. It's even better to put every pair in 5g tank.
Could you expand a bit on a good aquarium layout?
You did so:wink: The layout should be planned in a way allowing to minimize or eliminate line of sight (plants and horizontally laid driftwoods). It's also important (especially in overcrowded tanks with more agressive spacies) to prepare many hiding places (leaves, shells of the coconut,moss).
I would like to know if I can manage this setup for about a month, until I decide which ones I really like and want to keep, or if I will need to get more tanks.
If I have to divide apisto from Dave among your tanks, I would do the following setups:
20g long tank:
A. viejita - 1m + 3f
20g long tank:
A. cacatuoides Triple Red - 1m + 3f
10g long tank:
A. honglsoi 1+1
10g long tank:
A. Cac "orange flash" 1+1
10g long tank:
A. agassizii 1+1
5g long tank:
A. borelli 1+1
It should allow to keep your apisto without losses (coming from territoriality and agressive behaviour) and with a great chance for successful spawning and brood rising.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….