• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Which Apistogramma is this?

tompoz

There is a pair (?) of these in my LFS for quite a time now (2-3 months). They claim it is A. papagallo WF which obviously is only a trade name.
Would anyone be able to id it for me? Sorry for the quality but it is the best I could get with my phone camera.
I believe this is a male. The second fish is similar but smaller, does not show these glossy blue markings and is not brave enough to approach front of the tank.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, this is A. sp. Papagei/Parrot/Papagallo and a male. It also shows the 'black blotch syndrome' seen on many apisto from northern Peru. If I wanted a pair of Papagei (and the female truly is a female Papagei), I would buy them.

tompoz

Thanks, Mike! I was hoping you would reply. Do you have any more information about this fish? Behaviour, compatibility, water conditions, tank setup?
This would be VERY MUCH appreciated. If possible, I would give away my ramirezi and put this pair in a 48x17x17 tank with 1+2 agasizzii Flamenco.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It is found in the Río Ampiyacu, a blackwater river. It requires very soft and acid (pH <6.0) water for breeding. Males can be very aggressive toward females not ready to breed. Females can be very aggressive toward males once she has eggs/fry. I suggest a slightly larger tank for this species. I bred my Papagei in a heavily decorated 20L (75X30X30cm) aquarium. A. sp. Papagei will dominate (kill?) Ramirezi. Not a good mix. A. agassizii should be OK in a larger tank with Papagei if there are many structures and well-defined boundaries.

tompoz

Mike, I have provided size of my tank in inches. I would not dare to try two Apisto species in a 48x17x17cm tank.
So rams are out to my daughter's small tank (25l) as soon as I get rid of Ichthyophthiriasis. :-/

Then Papagei are in the big tank as soon as I put more plants and driftwood in. :-D

henkh

5 Year Member
Sounds like a nice plan. I'm a bit jealous. Could only hope my local LFS could provide me with a couple of these!

tompoz

The plan is in progress: I have slightly rearranged the tank adding more plants and another piece of driftwood, there are now three quite separated floor areas.
Ramirezi are out and the tank is ready to house new species.
Tomorrow... :)

tompoz

So here they are, swimming in my tank :):

dsc02198z.jpg

dsc02195jw.jpg

dsc02197oa.jpg

Female is a bit shy, hiding whenever I approach with the camera so apologies for poor quality.

tompoz

So male Papagei took over the tank. I came back home after few days of holidays and found one agasizzii female dead. Cannot see the other one. Agasizzii male hides 90% of time in one of the roots. I saw him challenge the Papagei male but he gave it up after initial show off and hid.

The male Papagei also chases away the Papagei female, but she is hardy/smart enough to outmaneuver him and still swim around. Also, she is gaining back on shape fast (after initially being quite slim and not so lively) so I am not worried about her.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
No, it is not. Notice the bright area between the end of the lateral band and the caudal spot? This is a diagnostic feature of species that belong to the regani-complex. If it is from Peru, then my guess is that it is a female A. sp. Masken.

tompoz

Thanks again, Mike. It is a bad news, in such case I do not have a pair of Papagei. Well, will start looking for a female Papagei and a male Masken.

tompoz

The female is in the tank since yesterday evening. Fingers crossed that she is the right one and will go along well with the male. I have not had a chance to check her out this morning so cannot wait to get back home from work and see how she is doing.

Will try to make some pictures tonight and hopefully get positive ID from you guys.

tompoz

It looks I am lucky! The female is doing good. The male is adoring her and they have already together checked out hideouts in a coconut shell and steelwood root.

The female (please ID if it is not sp. Papagei):
dsc02468tb.jpg

dsc02469at.jpg

dsc02470gq.jpg

dsc02486dd.jpg

dsc02495tr.jpg

dsc02497p.jpg

The male, showing off:
dsc02500fe.jpg

Together:
dsc02487d.jpg

dsc02491d.jpg

dsc02499e.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The photos do not show any diagnostic markings. Check when the female is in breeding dress. If she shows only 2 spots on the flanks, then she is A. sp. Papagei. If she shows 4 or more spots, then she is A. sp. Roca Eterna.

tompoz

I reconfirm - two spots, so it is Papagei. Great!

But... she killed female agassizii yesterday, the male is hiding in plants on the surface and single female of (allegedly) A. sp. "Masken" tries to pretend she is one of the leaves on the bottom.
It looks like I will have to give the other Apistos away if I want to keep Papagei.

tompoz

The female Papagei guards a coconut shell which entry she has blocked with sand dug out from the inside. She also coloured up nicely and I was able to get a few pics of her:

dsc02501h.jpg

dsc02502t.jpg

dsc02505jk.jpg

dsc02506d.jpg

dsc02507e.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….