• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Which Apisto?

Sime

5 Year Member
I know its really a personal choice but which do you think would be the best to choose from the following list.

Apistogramma cacatuoides "double red" pairs
Apistogramma cacatuoides " Orange Flash"
Apistogramma agassizii "double red" pairs
Apistogramma hongsloi "red stroke" pairs
Apistogramma macmasteri pairs
Apistogramma macmasteri "blue face" pairs
Apistogramma trifasciata macliensis pairs

Sime

harnsheng

5 Year Member
hhehehhehe wat a choice...i will take A.trifasciata macliencis or A.agassizii double red...both are beautiful fish!!! :biggrin:

Sime

5 Year Member
I would have thought that they would all require pretty much the same water conditions.

Its too hard to choose, I'm leaning towards the cac orange flash, or macmasteri or trifasciata. I can only really get one pair or maybe 2.

I cant make up my mind!!

Apistt_ed

Sime said:
I know its really a personal choice but which do you think would be the best to choose from the following list.

Apistogramma cacatuoides "double red" pairs
Apistogramma cacatuoides " Orange Flash"
Apistogramma agassizii "double red" pairs
Apistogramma hongsloi "red stroke" pairs
Apistogramma macmasteri pairs
Apistogramma macmasteri "blue face" pairs
Apistogramma trifasciata macliensis pairs

Sime
If water wasn't an issue, which my opinion would be based on, I would say that your best bet is Cacatuoides (dbl reds or org flash) just based on the ease it is caring for them. I haven't really heard much about macmasteri "blue-face"... but would suspect it's probably something else(?) because I personally heard anything about them at all... but the Hongsloi red stroke (aka rotstrich) are absolutly stunning also!! I'm at the moment keeping both cacatuoides you mentioned, double red aggies, macmasteri "red shoulders", and Trifasciatas and I love them all. I have kept hongsloi before but I lost the males to an illness not too long ago and I like them all.... again, it comes to your preference and which one appeals to you most. cheers. happy choosings!! john

Greg PL

5 Year Member
don't call them A. trifasciata maciliensis - MW will go spare! ;)
i would go for those (as A. sp. "Rio Mamore"), especialy if they are the red tail strain.
they are fairly peaceful, not that big and not very demanding.
they are not very prolific, which could be an advantage for a hobbyst keeper - you only have to care about 30-50 offsprings as opposed to 100-200 of cacs.
good luck!

Konigwolf

5 Year Member
Q - Which apistos?

A - Any I can lay my grubby little paws on

:biggrin:

Oh, you meant for you, hmmm if able look before you buy and choose the ones you like the looks of & that you know you can care for.

Konigwolf

Sime

5 Year Member
A - Any I can lay my grubby little paws on

Amen brotha!

Well they are out of the bouble red cacs, they have orange flash males but not sure on female, waiting to hear back from them about that.
If that falls through I think ill go for a pair of tri's. I've already got hongsloi &
Agi tefe so its really down to the Trifacsiata & Macmasteri.

Sime

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….