• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What were your fish doing at midnight?

Zack Wilson

5 Year Member
Over and over again, I am reminded of why these are my favorite fish. I just don't know if any other will top D. maculatus for me. I was shutting off lights tonight and the mac growout tank was the last one. Apparently with all the other lights out, the male could see his reflection and he started parading and challenging himself. He wouldn't stop, and I don't think I got a bad pic. Took almost 50 shots. Just wish I had him in a tank with better glass and I'd had a chance to wipe it down.

Like Father (this is an old pic of his dad)
maculatusM-10.jpg

Like Son
maculatusMA_1438.jpg

maculatusMB_1450.jpg

maculatusMC_1454.jpg

maculatusME_1464.jpg

maculatusMF_1465.jpg

maculatusMG_1467.jpg

maculatusMH_1474.jpg

maculatusMI_1479.jpg

freshwaterfishfan

5 Year Member
Nice pics

Zach,

Nice pics. What camera/flash/etc do you use?
In the first photo, the fish behind the D. mac male, is that a D. sp. Tapejos? It seems to have the "dash" like markings.
Steve

Zack Wilson

5 Year Member
Thanks. I had a nice subject, so that helps. Not that this is critical, but here's what I think matters: F18, 1/200sec, ISO 320, external mounted flash set to auto. Lighting on the tank can be just as critical. For one, when in his usual tank, the bulb temperature is much cooler and brings out the blues more prominently, much like the first pic. Right now he's with some juveniles, as I'm setting up another trio for spawning.

The first, older shot, was taken with the built-in flash on the camera, before I got my SB-600.

Less important; shot w/ Nikon D200, 18-200mm AF-S DX VR general lens. I've shot with Canon and gotten very nice shots as well. I'm just more comfortable with my Nikon. Any SLR can take those shots, provided the user is up to it. A point-and-shoot *could*, but there are a lot more limitations that make it more difficult.

Oh, and yes, that's a D. sp. "Tapajos"
tapajosM-9.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….