• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What are some colouful cichlids?

carleelver

i have a 55g tank ready for some south american cichlids but im not sure what to get i would like some cichlids that arent huge but not to small except i want a couple of dwarf cichlids what would you recomend??

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum.

Colorful + not too large + South American + readily available = Mikrogeophagus ramierezi (blue rams)

RustedKnight

i have a 55g tank ready for some south american cichlids but im not sure what to get i would like some cichlids that arent huge but not to small except i want a couple of dwarf cichlids what would you recomend??

55gallon, pretty big tank.

Colourful, well theres Cockatoo Cichlids (apistogramma cacatouides), rams as stated above, Kribensis, Apistogramma Norberti (v good looking fish)

to name but a few.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
If you are just beginning to keep SA Dwarf Cichlids as I suspect,
I agree with Mike's recommendations, Blue Rams, A. cacatuoides are both good choices.
Another species which makes a pretty addition to a community tank and one which is compatible with the other two species is Lyretail Checker Boards, Dicrossus filamentosus. This latter species is not commonly commercially produced but it is widely exported because many are by caught with wild Cardinal Tetras. These facts help make it less expensive than many bred or wild Apistogramma species and they are very beautiful fish when they have matured.
Each will coexist well together in a tank as large as your 55 gal.
All SA Dwarf Cichlids require very good water quality so be sure you have good filtration and make at least 50% water changes about ever 4 or 5 days.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….