• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

West African WC Exporters?

JG

5 Year Member
I lived in West Africa, more specifically, Ghana for a few years. However, I was always way too busy to keep any aquariums or even go fishing. Being a crazed sportfishermen from Canada I had even taken my fishing gear along. Alas, no fishing.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any wild caught exporters in West Africa shipping to Canada? My Swiss mother-in-law still lives in Ghana and we were thinking of going for a visit in the near future. I'm sure I could find out through a number of contacts, however it's late and I'd rather not if one of you knew of any exporters in West Africa.

Thanks,

J

kribs

5 Year Member
Hi if u are in canada i would contact oliver lucanas at belowwater.com. He has a good selection of WC west africans and also Toyin from rehobothaquatics.com in the US.

JG

5 Year Member
I was checking out his site. Have you ever done business with the company before or know of anyone who has?

Thanks,

J

fatcow82much

5 Year Member
Hey,
No i have not and i dont know anyone who has...i was looking into it but the importation was too much of a hasle. I got his name from a website that listed all the "more popular" importers but i didnt save that site or rember what it was.

Hope it helps,
Bobby

mr_apisto

5 Year Member
Have you done anything about this? If so, what were your results?
The reason for my interest is that I have heard all sorts of horrible stories from within the trade of how unreliable exporters can be. To give examples:
An order of various species of westies resulted in 5 boxes of elephant noses, not one DC. Another order resulted in about 1000 lampeyes, again no westies.
This subject is very close to my heart as I want to find a good, reliable exporter as I work as an advisor to fish shops here in Spain and, so far, I have not been able to find anyone worth working with. If anybody can help out on this, PLEASE let me know, especially as far as references are concerned. I could probably also manage to swing a small commision for a good contact:)

JG

5 Year Member
To be brutally frank, I'm a little leary of dealing with an exporter from Nigeria, unless either I had met them and developed a relationship or I knew someone "on the ground" who could vouch for them.

Having lived in West Africa for a few years, one has come to see the unscrupulous practices of many a Nigerian business. This is not to say that they're all bad because they aren't. It's just that I know the culture that presides in the country and one has to be VERY careful. I'm hoping to travel to Ghana in a year's time at which point I will follow up with some of the exporters in country and in Nigeria (if possible).

J

mr_apisto

5 Year Member
This is very much what I've heard. Your saying that you had family there sort of pinged off my radar:). If I wasn't tied down to Spain, I'd be tempted to set up my own operation, but that's not possible.
If you do go, let me know. My contacts would also be interested in reptiles and amphibians. As far as I'm concerned, it's westies and Killies that do it for me:).

JG

5 Year Member
That's correct, my Swiss mother-in-law still lives in Ghana. Spain is only a 6.5 hour fight to Lagos if I'm not mistaken, or probably a little shorter. You'd definitely enjoy the experience, but once again, ensure that you go with a Nigerian colleague. Whether you're black or white or whatever, they can smell a tourist a mile away. Hahaha. Funny you should mention reptiles, etc. because I had mentionned such a venture to my wife not long ago. Why don't you send me an email with your contact information and I'll contact you before I head to Ghana. I could probably arrange free accomodation... the ticket unfortunately would be yours to pay. :)

J

Toyin

Apisto Club
Staff member
5 Year Member
Exporters

Going to Nigeria to meet with an exporter is not exactly going to make you immune to fraudsters or getting duped. Besides, Nigeria is not the only country in which you find fraudulent people. They abound anywhere there's money to be made off of unsuspecting individuals- Africa, Middle East, Europe and South America.....even here in the U.S.
I even know of some in Ghana as we speak.
It's a whole different world out there in the realm of commercial ornamental fish and reptile trade so be sure of what you're getting into before you jump overboard.
My $0.02.

JG

5 Year Member
Toyin said:
Going to Nigeria to meet with an exporter is not exactly going to make you immune to fraudsters or getting duped. Besides, Nigeria is not the only country in which you find fraudulent people. They abound anywhere there's money to be made off of unsuspecting individuals- Africa, Middle East, Europe and South America.....even here in the U.S.
I even know of some in Ghana as we speak.
It's a whole different world out there in the realm of commercial ornamental fish and reptile trade so be sure of what you're getting into before you jump overboard.
My $0.02.
Toyin, you're from Nigeria right?

I agree with you in that Ghana is by no means immune from this, however, the reality is that it is far more prominent in Nigeria. I don't know any Nigerians or Ghanaians who would argue that fact. As for fraud incidents, just call your local BBB and ask about current scams. Guess which country continually keeps popping up - you guessed it.

Plus, I did not say meeting an exporter would make you immune. What I said was "I'm a little leary of dealing with an exporter from Nigeria, unless either I had met them and developed a relationship or I knew someone 'on the ground' who could vouch for them." The second portion of that sentence definitely takes precedence.

This is not a pick on Nigeria or WA thread, because many of my friends are from West Africa, as is my wife and some of my relatives. However, having lived and worked there, not just passing through as a tourist, I have seen WAY too much to just trust anyone. Why? No accountability. No authority to whom such things can be reported. Let me rephrase that... there are authorities but they won't do a thing... oops sorry... my bad... they will do a thing if you bribe (or as they call it, "tip") them. Does this mean all WA businesses are corrupt? No. It just means that when you're dealing with any business, especially in a country in which the taxi driver can bribe a police officer in your very presence whilst you're sitting in the back seat, then you need to be careful!

I've written too much. Long and short is that when I next go to Ghana and Nigeria I'll do my own homework and source out who is reliable and who is not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….