• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

well well well, what have we here?

HaakonH

5 Year Member
I can tell you one thing; they sure aren't A.tucurui. That's what my supplier listed them as, but they still have some traits that make me think of eastern-Brazil based species.

I received six of them, and I was surprised to see they were about 3" (7-8 cm) and in fine condition. Too bad they are all males.

Interesting traits are the black blotch at the lower end of the caudal, the black spot between the eye and the mouth, as well as a faint black spot on the lower lip. Colors aren't all that, but some metallic blue sheen can be seen on the sides, as well as some blue and red spots on the gill cover. Caudal fin has spot pattern and is rounded. Black vertical bars seem slightly curved, a trait found in A.sp.Wangenflecken (right, Mike?). These are much bigger than the A.sp.Wangenflecken I received earlier this year from the same importer/exporter.

Haakon

Attachments

• IMG_2085.JPG
    IMG_2085.JPG
    386.5 KB · Views: 729
  • IMG_2093.JPG
    IMG_2093.JPG
    243.1 KB · Views: 721
  • IMG_2097.JPG
    IMG_2097.JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 616
  • IMG_2098.JPG
    IMG_2098.JPG
    238.3 KB · Views: 691

Microman

5 Year Member
The A.sp.Wangenflecken I had didnt have the pronounced caudal spot markings that your fish have here and the lateral band was also much narrower. The body of your fish is much deeper than my "Wangenflecken". I would say that you have a form of A.cf.caetei, possibly from the same area where your A.sp.Wangenflecken came from, Ilha de Marajo. Could it be A.cf.caetei "Rotwangen/Red cheeks" ?
Mark...

HaakonH

5 Year Member
Thanks guys! I aggree, these don't look quite like the A.sp.Wangenflecken I have, and this being a form of A.caetei actually crossed my mind. I didn't know that A.caetei grows to this size though, nice to see. The exporter (Imazo in Sweden) has had a few wild forms of caetei in stock during the last year or so, so it's not very surprising if this is another one :)

Haakon

kaj.p

5 Year Member
I have wild A caetei from Marajo
Vf-caetai-Morajo.jpg

And at the moment i also have A wagenflecken much younger specimens so they have not colured out yet. Not the best picture eighter :(
A-sp-wagenflecken-3.jpg

Microman

5 Year Member
Wow Kaj... I didnt realise you were keeping, or have kept, so many different species of Apistogramma.
I thought that your tanks were almost entirely dedicated to discus.
Mark...

kaj.p

5 Year Member
Not my intention to hijack HaakonsH s thread I enterd the pic for comparing. Sorry HaakonH.
Mark I reagulary have about 10 species of apistogrammas. But maybe I must start my own presentationthread.
Raymond its A sp Orosa

HaakonH

5 Year Member
Kaj, I sure don't mind - any kind of interesting input is welcome in a small society like this :)

As for my own fish, I'll settle for A.cf.caetei then. 6 males and no females, that's a bummer...my contact at Imazo said he'd had these for more than a year. He didn't know what they were when he got them, and even though he sent some specimens to experts in Germany he still didn't get a proper ID. So he just kept them until further information emerged, which explains the nice condition of the fish. He couldn't find any females among them. While he was away on a business trip, a colleague of him put them on their stocklist as A.tucurui, for some reason. They're off the list again now.

According to another Swedish guy who works for a Brazilian exporter in Belem that ships fish to Sweden, they catch "3-4-5 different kinds of caetei". And this guy is no novice, so he's not thinking of completely different species of Apisto as caetei. He also told me of an upcoming revision of the genus (in 1-2 years) that will increase the number of described species to several hundred ("close to 500"...sounds amazing) . I didn't ask who's working on this, but some Brazilian ichthyologist(s) is surely involved. So, maybe the form I have will get it's own name in the not so distant future?

Haakon

kaj.p

5 Year Member
This is a name often used in the trade. Most literature (Römer, Koslowski, (Linke &) Staeck, Matsuzaka, me;) , Google:D , etc.) use the more descriptive name, A. sp. Winkelfleck/Angle-patch.

I know but im not sure i like it. :) I just becomes just a little scared when you see the import lists and apistogramma names strawberry, sunshine, purple etc . It starts to look like all the fancy names for cultivated discus. I think it's an advantage if you can tie the group to where they come from. Just my toughts.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I tend to agree. I prefer location names, too. Still, I prefer to use names published in books and magazines over those used on commercial sales lists. At least you have somewhere to go, to see the fish offered for sale. For example, Tom & I collected some "A. sp. 2000-1" (a commercial name) this year. Would you know what species I'm discussing?:confused:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….