• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Weening Apisto fry from BBS

davidjp1982

Donating Member
Just wondering if anyone has had any success weening apisto fry onto dried food? I have a batch of fry 6-7 weeks old and I'm feeding BBS twice daily now each time adding a small amount of ground flake food, although as expected they seem to ignore the flake. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of successfully transferring to dried food? Is it possible or are daily hatching of BBS the only way to keep them alive? Thanks.

gerald

5 Year Member
Like most of us, they go for their favorites first. Try adding less BS, so they dont get full, and then see if they eat flakes when the BS are gone. Some will of course start eating it sooner than others, and will grow faster, so you might need to segregate sizes if they grow too unevenly. Some individuals might never accept dry food. Also depends on species: cacatu, mac, panduro, regani-group are usually pretty good about learning to eat dry foods. In my limited experience, the slim-bodied species like bitaen, aggasi, and pertens are more picky. Anyway, DO keep some live or fresh-frozen foods in their diet for long-term health. Ad cooked veggies too - sweet potato is my current favorite - I've been amazed how many fish love it, including carnivorous tetras, bettas, darters, etc.

davidjp1982

Donating Member
Great thanks - as soon as I finished typing that post I noticed my triple reds have just spawned so won't be turning off the hatchery just yet!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….