• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Want to breed apistos

bir123

Hi had a pair of apistos a few months now,the male died about 4 months ago so 5 days ago I got a new male .would like some advice on breeding .I saw the male attacking the female and chasing her around the aquarium and them some times he raises all his fins and he and the female make circles .I have been feeding them blood worms and the temp is 79degrees and the aquarium is 12inch width 12inch high and 24 inch long and is 15 gl .They have not breed as yet can u guys assist me in this process. thanks in advance.
uploadfromtaptalk1437333966633.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1437334002042.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1437334038986.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1437334093975.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1437334133920.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1437334164203.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1437334200698.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1437334256707.jpg

Last edited:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think your tank lay-out needs a lot of help if you want to encourage breeding; too open with no distinct territories (the cause of all the chasing), too coarse gravel, caves to open. I suggest you do a search here for photos and information on how to set up a good breeding tank.

Karin

5 Year Member
Your apistos will be more comfortable if you add some sand substrate, lots of java moss and floaters to make some hiding, foraging places and dim the lights. Make the caves have small hiding entrances. On top of that, people recommends leaf litter on the bottom (find some oak trees leaves for instance), and twigs and wood to delimit different territories.
C:\Users\KHEGELIN\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png

bir123

OK so added some floating plants some move caves (coconut shells)added some moss ,Java fern,trident fern,and cobomba.Just need to put sand nw

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….