• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Viejita or Macmasteri?

AlexW

5 Year Member
I bought a pair (male and female) of "Ap. macmasteri" at an LFS on Saturday and have been having issues making sure that they are indeed macmasteri and not viejita.

Now, I have a pair of wild viejita in another tank and they don't look too similar but the viejita are full grown, 3.5 inch male and 3 inch female and the new pair of apistos are only 1.5 inch male and 1 inch female so I don't think I can really judge on that part.

If anyone can help me out it'd be appreciated!

P8107063.jpg

P8107080.jpg

P8107067.jpg

Also, what would be a good food to be feeding them, right now I'm giving them a mixture of hikari and wardly and freeze dried tubifex and they are accepting it all. I ran out of frozen food (my mom used it all in her tank :rolleyes: ) 2 weeks ago and probably won't be getting more for a week or two. What are some frozen foods you'd recomend? I'm thinking mysis, bloodworms and brine shrimp.

Oops, just realized this is probably the wrong section. How can I move it to the identification and morphology section?
Edit: Thanks for moving it! Won't happen again (I hope)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The fish in the photos are Red-shoulder/Rotrücken A. macmasteri. I will bet a nickel that your "A. viejita" are also A. macmasteri. The true A. viejita is extremely rare in the hobby. It has been 10 years since I last saw the true A. viejita.

As for food, variety is best. Just feed different frozen/freeze-dried foods. If they take flakes & pellets, add these, too. An occassional feeding of live foods certainly encourages breeding.

AlexW

5 Year Member
Thanks for the help! That's good to know I got what I wanted.

I haven't been able to find any pictures of a real viejita online anywhere, all the ones I see are labeled Rio meta or super red or some such stuff and don't look a thing like mine.

Here's a picture of my other apistos, can you tell me if they are macmasteri or viejita?

P5226470.jpg

P5056281.jpg

P5156388.jpg

Female in breeding dress^

I'll try and get a pic of the female out of breeding colors, she's not too cooperative with pictures.:tongue:

AlexW

5 Year Member
Thanks guys! Kinda a dissapointment but it's fine with me.

Can anyone point me to a pic of a real viejita?

And one more question, does it look to you guys like the female macmasteri might be a young male disguising itself as a female to avoid being attacked by the larger male?

AlexW

5 Year Member
Thanks guys! That's a relief, there hasn't been any extra aggression between the two and they've been coupling alot more since I've introduced them. Compared to my... I guess they're A. sp. rotpunkt now, that always argue it's a nice change.

Thanks for that link Mike Wise, While I can understand a little of it I'm only in first year. The english makes it much easier on my head right now during summer break.:tongue:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….