• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Using coconut shells

georgedv

5 Year Member
My wife made some coconut pie a few weeks ago and I got 4 shell halves. I boiled them and removed most of the "hair" from the shell and scraped the inside pretty well too. I placed two in a 55 gal with slightly acidic/soft water housing some Pelvs. About three days ago I notice this growth on my cabombas. It covers them from top to bottom. The growth looks cotton like and is geenish/yellow. This might have nothing to do w/ the coconuts. My question; was just boiling and scraping the shells enough....or is there more to it?

Thanks for any help!!

g

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I don't know if your problem is related to the coconut shells. All I ever do is scrape all the 'meat' out of the shell, rinse well under warm water, & throw into a tank. It works for me.

Iku

5 Year Member
I clean only inside very well before puting into tank and plecos love outside hairs and after few weeks shell is bold.

beleg

5 Year Member
Well sometimes i leave a little amount of the brown skin of the meat as well. Always too lazy to clean it up. Just drop it in and the fish take care of it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….