• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello from Southern California

KCinSoCal

5 Year Member
Hello fellow hobby enthusiasts!

A little about myself, I was in the hobby years ago and had to give up. I returned to the hobby a little over year ago and have set up a very densely planted Walstad style 40gal breeder. It's main inhabitants are 8 golden pencils, 12 ember tetra, and 20'ish pygmy cory. They share that with 4 oto, 4 habrosus cory (a dwarf cory species), a viable breeding population of red shrimp (Neocaridina davidi), a few amano shrimp, and some nerite snails. My goal now is to find healthy Bolivian rams (actually pretty hard) or apisto pair/trio to be the centerpiece fish of the tank now that the tank is fully mature and established.

I think i have a sustainable population of red shrimp because of mosses, dense foliage, driftwood, cholla wood, floating mat of riccia, and coconut shell cave covered in peacock moss. I think they could survive dwarf cichlids because of the amount of hiding spaces and also the Malaysian wood I have picked are vertical columns with flat areas and some moss, I notice alot of the baby red shrimp developing off the sand and up on the columns or in the floating riccia mats.

Anyways that is what brought me, research into which dwarf cichlids could fit my tanks parameters and live healthy and stress free.

FishEZ

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum. I have seen Bolivian Rams for sale, what state of their health do you typically find them to be in? Just curious since you mention that they are actually pretty hard to find.

Ade205

Welcome :) Your tank sounds great, any pics?

I have to say I'm intrigued if you go with Apistos to see how well your shrimp population goes! I once underestimated Apistos love of anything that move or wiggles that will fit in their mouths!!

Good look and keep us updated with how it goes.

Ade.

KCinSoCal

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum. I have seen Bolivian Rams for sale, what state of their health do you typically find them to be in? Just curious since you mention that they are actually pretty hard to find.

Sorry for taking so long to respond. The Bolivians I find have spinal and head deformities or have drab grey coloring. When I ask about the origin of the fish it is always the same, from Asia. I suspect what I am seeing is very inbred farm bred fish. I did see some excellent rams a while back, WC, but I did not feel my tank was mature enough yet to introduce rams so I skipped on purchasing them.

KCinSoCal

5 Year Member
Welcome :) Your tank sounds great, any pics?

I have to say I'm intrigued if you go with Apistos to see how well your shrimp population goes! I once underestimated Apistos love of anything that move or wiggles that will fit in their mouths!!

Good look and keep us updated with how it goes.

Ade.

Well Rams will decimate red shrimp faster as fast as big mouthed Cacatuoides I imagine :) I am hoping they eat some shrimp, but that the denseness of vegetation and cover will allow sustainable population to survive. And as I stated, my driftwood is vertical with places to hide off the sand floor.

I will get some pictures up soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….