• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Urgent: Iranocichla eggs

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
I've had a group of Iranocichla hormuzensis for a while. They repeatedly spawned for me, but the females typically lost the eggs (or fry) before wigglers were released. After taking a couple of months of a break, one of the females was holding again. This time I didn't want to take a chance, but stripped the female. I ended up with about 50 eggs. For the time being, I poked a bunch of holes in tupperware containers, split the eggs up into five portions, and let the plastic containers float in the original tank. I realize this is probably far from being ideal. Thus, my question to the experienced hobbyists on this forum: is there a quick and easy way to create a better container for keeping the eggs? Please keep in mind that the local fishstores are pretty useless, and that I won't be able to get anything out of the ordinary here in Lincoln. Thanks.

Janos

Sharpfish

5 Year Member
Did you try Aquabid.com? Check under breeding supplies there is usually someone selling an egg tumbler. It may be to late for this batch but you will be ready for the next.

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the (fast) responses! I placed an order today. There is only a slim chance that I'll have to time to put my own tumber together in the next couple of days. Do you guys think the eggs might survive in my silly little tupperware floaties, at least for a few days?

freshwaterfishfan

5 Year Member
Janos,

Congrats. That is a big spawn. Mine typically only give me 20-25 eggs. I have had zero luck with egg tumblers with this species. I've tried several kinds and had 100% failure. My only success (I've raised about 25 fry) was to use those guppy 3-way breeders that have the removable grate at the bottom (that acts as the mother/fry separator). I've found Iranocichla eggs to be too big to fall between the grate. I then drill a hole in the grate, put an airstone under it and bubble it vigorously so the eggs are in fairly constant motion. If this sounds like I just built a egg tumbler, I agree, but for some reason it works and none of commercial tumblers or other DIY that I've tried work. Not sure why.
BTW- Were your eggs green?
Steve

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Steve, it's a pretty big female, probably the largest fish in my group. Fifty eggs is an underestimate. "Green" would be a stretch, "greenish" maybe. I'll try the 3-way breeder set up.

Janos

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….