• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Trouble id A. cf. eunotus females

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
I´ve something about 5 pairs of A. cf. eunotus "orange tail" from different populations (A73, A74 and A76) and 3 pairs of -what I think- A77 and A79 and I found very, very difficult to id the females of all of them.

Any tips? (I thought to mix them all and look very carefully which female choose which male, but I really don´t want to hibridize similar species not even populations).

Another question, which are the differences between A74 and A75 (males and females).

Thanks in advance

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Trust me. It is very unlikely that you have A 73. It is probably a population of the true A. eunotus and hasn't been in the hobby since the early 1980s. A 74 and A 75 are most likely 2 different populations of the same species (A. cf. eunotus Orangeschwanz/Orange-tail). If you put the females in the tank, they will not care with which male they breed. The species with caudal fin stripes can be hard to separate. Compare the top photos on page 79 of Koslowski's book. The top left photo is A. cf. eunotus (Schwanzstreifen/Tail-stripes); on the top right A. sp. Tahuayo. If you look closely Tahuayo has a wider lateral band and a shorter, but wider caudal spot. I find it surprising that you would have this species (A. sp. Tahuayo) because it is not commercially collected and rarely even collected by hobbyist-collectors.

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike.

They´re giving me a hard time!!!

I´ll look them carefully and if I continue with doubts, I´ll post pics of them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….