• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Triple Red Cac's husbandry, pictures

Peregrine

5 Year Member
I recently acquired a pair of cac's from a breeder. I was looking in the species profiles on triple reds and I was wondering what kind of quality these specimens are. From what I've gathered so far I think my female is pretty good while my male is decent. Tell me what you think though. They're still pretty young,

Male and female (female is in good focus)
dec_10_aquarium_05.jpg

Male
dec_10_aquarium_08.jpg

ste12000

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum, this place is awash with knowlegable dwarf cichlid keepers..They are all busy so you will have to do with me:)

You fish look superb, They have a good shape,fins are all there and in good condition and are a good size considering they have came from a breeder. He must have had them for ages. I am not a fish judge or even a apisto expert but these fish look absolutly fine, the main thing is that you are happy with them, after all its you thats got to look at them all day, could be two young males
...Goodluck.

Peregrine

5 Year Member
Really looks like two males? I've been watching their behavior for a while now and the smaller one (the one I think/thought is a female) gets in front of the male and twitches. She then swims to her cave that she's been cleaning and guards like crazy. It seems like she's trying to lure the male into the cave. Would it be normal for a smaller male to display like that to a larger male? Here is another picture of the (hopefully) female.

That is her cave!
dec_10_aquarium_11.jpg

Here is a picture of the female in the middle of doing the twitching dance she does in front of the male. Unfortunately he seems to be ignoring her.

dec_10_aquarium_13.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
In many of the domestic highly colorful strains, the females look very much like young males. Often behavior is the only way to sex them. It is possible that you have a female. Time will tell.

donaldscichlids

5 Year Member
Hi, I want to know more about the females that look like young males. I think that i have the same issue??? I have what i though were some female cac/ butthey do look like young males with faded colorings. How long will it take for them to grow out?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….