• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Trifasciata female fertility size

kingborris

5 Year Member
Hi all,

Ages ago, i purchased a pair of very small trifasciata for my discus tank. To cut a long story short, they both turned out to be male, so returned one, but only after my LFS had sold all the others. Over the last six months, they have had other trifascs in stock, but only as pairs. last wek they finally got some females i could buy as a replacement

so now i have a male who is approaching 2", and 2 females that are both about 3/4" in length. the male is constantly flirting and tail waving at both females (guess it has been a long time on his own ;) ), but i think they are too small to be spawning as yet.

i am hoping that growth rates will be fairly quick due to the high temps of the discus tank and plenty of food, but what kind of size will they need to reach to become fertile?

Thanks,

KB

mummymonkey

5 Year Member
Mine's spawned at barely an inch KB.

trifasciata_female.jpg

kingborris

5 Year Member
cheers mm. Are there any specific foods you use for conditioning apistos? at the moment they are getting a decent mix of stuff, basically what ever the discus get.

mummymonkey

5 Year Member
Same stuff I give to all my cichlids/corys really. Decent quality flake food (2 or 3 types mixed), ground up trout pellets, white worm, grindal worm, frozen bloodworm, daphnia once in a while, baby brine shrimp if I've any left over from feeding fry. Nothing unusual. Seems to work anyway, my A. hongsloi have just produce a new brood.

Red Baron

5 Year Member
mine too the female spawn at slightly less than an inch in length about 30 small ones now in my tank . My diet for them is frozen blood worms , brine shrimp and tetra bits for discus .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….