• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Thoughts on behaviour?

DH247

5 Year Member
My female Nanay/Melgar has been spending the past few days hiding out at the top of the tank in behind my heater and filter supply. She has been getting a lot of attention from the male any other time she's at the bottom of the tank (to the point she either stays in her cave or gets nipped at). I noticed that for a few days she would simply show him her brooding colours and then she would be able to carry on, but now he will corner her until she bolts. Currently there's only another pair of rams in with them, and a twig cat (but he rarely comes out or off the echnidorus). The tank is 29G and is fairly well planted with 2 pieces of driftwood with a couple of caves under each. Any ideas on why she's hiding out, and how I could make things better for her? Anything is welcome as I will be setting up a 20G just for them and some dithers in a couple of weeks. I am hoping to get them to breed, if possible.

Cam

cardinal

5 Year Member
hello DH247

you could try putting another female in and some more caves and plants.

that should give the male something else to do.

thanks
cardinal

DH247

5 Year Member
The next tank will defintely be more heavily planted. I'm very much looking forward to doing some interesting aquascaping! I am having quite a bit of trouble locating the particular species. The LFS that I really like, and where I got the pair, is currently closed for some reno work. His store front is a side for a distribution company, so he gets lots of interesting stuff! So in the meantime I've been scouring the net and going to Big Al's in Richmond BC for any Nanay/Melgar. I'm hoping some dithers will help the situation. I have also recently found out that my pH is a little high (~6-6.5) and it should be closer to 5. I'm hoping that is why the female is not getting ready to brood, hence the extra abuse from the male. So we shall see, but any advice form those who have kept Nanay / Melgars is very much appreciated! Thanks!

Cam

PS - If any of my info is incorrect please correct me! I only want the best for my apistos!

fishgeek

cam i would be inclined to seperate if only temporarily
the female under this stress is more likely to suffer

if you are seeing aggression, then what is occuring during all the hours you are not watching the tank

andrew

DH247

5 Year Member
Yeah I think you're right. i'll pick up a tank divider for their new tank. go that road until i can find another female for him. Thanks!

Cam

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….