• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Those elusive D. maculatus...

Mol_PMB

Sadly, except for some from the Rio Negro, that's true for most apistos from Brazil.

Which species of Apisto are from the Rio Negro and are sometimes available? I'm expanding my Rio Negro biotope project and was looking for a suitable Apisto.
As noted in my previous posts about D.maculatus, there are some shops with a good range of dwarf cichlids round here :)
Thanks!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I honestly know of no population of A. bitaeniata from the Rio Negro. All of the bitaeniata-group species that I know about from the Negro are part of the paucisquamis-complex. There is a population in the Rio Manacapuru, just upstream from the mouth of the Negro. Yes, it is pretty, much like Rio Tefé and Rio Bauana populations. I read that A. bitaeniata was collected in the Tapajos, but have never seen any photos of the fish. My guess is that they were from a population 'flushed' downstream from farther up the Amazon (or some other species misidentified). Its accepted distribution is like that of A. cacatuoides; found above the Negro/Madeira.

Mol_PMB

Thanks Mike :)
So do I have any Apisto (or other dwarf cichlid) options from the Rio Negro or shall I just stick with my D.filamentosus? I'm shortly going to have two Rio Negro tanks so don't need to worry about compatibility within one tank.

regani

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike :)
So do I have any Apisto (or other dwarf cichlid) options from the Rio Negro or shall I just stick with my D.filamentosus? I'm shortly going to have two Rio Negro tanks so don't need to worry about compatibility within one tank.

If you go to fishbase.org there is an option to search by ecosystem. The entries for the Rio Negro basin include the tributaries, I think. There are about 350 species of fish listed for that ecosystem, so you do have some choices :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….